Tendons are the thick cords of tissues that connect the muscles to the bones. The inflammation of the tendon causes tendonitis. Foot tendonitis occurs when the tendons connecting the muscles of the foot to the bone have inflammation. The common types of foot or ankle tendonitis are Achilles tendonitis, posterior tibial tendonitis and peroneal tendonitis. The repetitive or minor impact on the tendons results in tendonitis.
The Causes Of Foot Tendonitis
Any injury or overuse of the tendons can result in tendonitis. Incorrect posture at work or poor stretching or conditioning of the muscles before exercise or sports activities increases the risk of tendonitis. People with flat feet and arthritis are more prone to have tendonitis. Some of the activities which can cause tendonitis include
• Running or walking in uneven grounds
Symptoms Of Tendonitis
The symptoms of foot tendonitis include
• Pain in the affected area
• Pain increases when the foot is moved
• Swelling in the affected area
• The affected area is hot and red
By providing rest to the affected foot you can ease the pain associated with tendonitis. Stay off your foot and ankle and use the home remedies to treat the pain, swelling and discomfort. It will take a couple of weeks for the tendons to heal.
Home Remedies For Foot Tendonitis:
The following are the home remedies that will help in dealing with various foot problems associated with tendonitis.
1. Olive Oil
If you are suffering from pain or swelling due to foot tendonitis, it would be ideal for you to carry out olive oil massage to reduce the symptoms of foot tendonitis. It will help in improving the blood flow on your foot and will provide a soothing effect. It is the best home remedy that you can think for tired feet.
- Take about 100 ml of olive oil and warm it.
- Apply this heated olive oil on your feet and massage it gently for five to eight minutes.
- This will increase blood flow in your feet and you need to work on your feet gently for 15 minutes to see effective results in a few days time.
One of the effective natural remedy that you can think for foot tendonitis is chickweed. It is a natural herb that is rich in vitamins, minerals and nutrients that will help in reducing pain, inflammation, stiffness and tenderness that is caused due to foot tendonitis.
- Make a fresh paste of the chickweed herb by blending it with water in a mixer.
- Apply this paste on your foot and leave it there for a few minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water once it gets dried.
- Regular application about two times a day for three to four days will help in reducing pain, inflammation of your tendons, muscles or ligaments.
- You can also boil a few chickweed herbs in drinking water for a few minutes.
- You can drink this chickweed tea several times a day to improve the mobility of your feet and to alleviate pain.
3. Flour Treatment
Flour must not be consumed when you are suffering from foot tendonitis. But, it is a natural remedy that is used to treat foot tendonitis.
- Mix two tablespoons of flour in equal quantity of white wine. Mix it well to make a smooth paste.
- Add more white wine if needed and then apply this smooth paste on the sore areas of the affected feet.
- Leave it for 30 minutes to 40 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this application for a few times every day to feel a reduction in the pain on your foot and to help in the speedy healing of the feet.
4. Vinegar Wraps
Vinegar wraps on the affected foot will help in greatly reducing foot tendonitis.
- Take equal amounts of water and vinegar and heat it up. Pour this into a big bowl.
- Now, in another large bowl mix equal quantities of vinegar and cold water.
- Soak a cotton towel in the hot mixture boil, wring the excess water out and then wrap the towel on the affected foot for about 10 minutes or until the warmness of the towel cools down.
- Next soak the towel in the cold water and vinegar mixture, wring excess water out and then wrap it around the affected foot for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this sequence for three to four times and then apply a moisturizer on your skin.
- Do this procedure for three to four days to get better relief from foot tendonitis problems.
5. Cabbage Leaves
- Soak fresh cabbage leaves in a bowl of water for 30 minutes.
- Now press the cabbage leaves on the affected area of your foot and then wrap a cotton cloth to hold it in position.
- Leave it overnight and repeat this process for two to three days to get good relief from inflammation and pain due to foot tendonitis.
6. Carbonated Water
Carbonated water is found to be very effective in reducing the pain caused by foot tendonitis. You can also drink carbonated water few times every day as it is good for health and will help in keeping body fresh.
- You need to soak your aching foot inside a bowl of sugarless carbonated water.
- It will help in refreshing your foot and will also reduce pain and inflammation of your foot.
- Repeat this process two to three times a day for better results.
7. Ice Pack
Ice pack is a very effective and age old remedy to treat pain or swelling caused by foot tendonitis.
- Put some crushed ice into a plastic bag. Cover the plastic bag with a thin cotton towel.
- Now, place this cotton towel on the affected area for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Repeat this process for two to three times a day to get good results and to reduce swelling and pain in your foot.
8. Broccoli Paste
- Take some fresh broccoli and make it into a mouth paste in a blender by adding water.
- Apply this paste on the affected foot.
- Wrap a cotton cloth on the foot to hold the paste on the foot.
- Leave it there for 20 to 25 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat twice daily for a few days to reduce foot tendonitis problems.
9. Potato Paste
- Boil one big sized potato.
- Allow it to cool and mash it completely and apply it on the affected foot.
- Wrap a clean cotton cloth over the mashed potato to hold it firmly on the foot.
- Leave it there for 30 minutes and repeat this process twice daily for three days to see good relief from foot swelling and pain.
10. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is a good home remedy that you can try out to reduce pain, swelling or foot tiredness due to foot tendonitis.
- Add two tablespoons of Epsom salt in half a bucket of warm water.
- Soak your feet in this bucket of water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- The magnesium sulfate in the Epsom salt will help in replacing the lost magnesium in your foot and this water mixture will help in soothing your feet.
- Repeat this process for at least seven to days every day to get effective results.
- You need to moisturize your feet with a moisturizer after the treatment in order to prevent dryness of the feet.
Asparagus will help in flushing out the excess fluid and waste in your system and it works as a natural diuretic. It will help in reducing pain, inflammation, swelling on your foot due to foot tendonitis. It is ideal that you consume asparagus if you are suffering from foot tendonitis.
- All you need to do is to add two or three fresh asparagus in your daily diet to get relief from foot tendonitis.
- You must make sure that you eat fresh fish and yoghurt along with asparagus to reduce bloating.
12. Cayenne Pepper
If you are suffering from pain due to foot tendonitis, then you can use cayenne pepper to treat it. It contains a natural pain reliever known as capsaicin will help in relieving foot pain.
- Add some cayenne pepper in half a bucket of warm water.
- Soak your feet in this water for about 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat this process for five to six days every day to alleviate foot pains.
- You can also sprinkle cayenne pepper on a soft cotton cloth and wrap it around on the affected area of your foot.
- Keep it wrapped for about 30 minutes and then rinse your feet with warm water.
- It will help in relieving pain due to foot tendonitis.
13. Sage Leaves
- Take about three to five fresh sage leaves and rub them gently with the help of your palms.
- Put the sage leaves in a bowl that contains two thirds of apple cider vinegar. Boil for a few minutes and then allow his mixture to simmer for another five minutes.
- Remove the vessel from heat and soak a cotton cloth in this solution.
- Wring off the excess solution and then wrap the cotton cloth on the affected area of the foot for 15 to 20 minutes.
- It will help in soothing your foot and will also provide relief from pain and inflammation.
Do you want to get rid of the pain and inflammation in your foot due to foot tendonitis? Are you looking for good and effective home remedies to treat foot tendonitis? Well, all you need to do is to try out a combination of two to three above mentioned home remedies for tendonitis to get good results in a few days time.