What Is Liver Disease?Any disturbances in liver function that can lead to an illness of a person is known as liver disease. The liver is the organ responsible for a number of critical functions in the body. When they get injured or diseased it will affect the proper functioning of the body. Liver disease is otherwise known as hepatic disease. The liver plays an important role in the metabolism of sugar, fat and iron. It produces bile which helps in fat digestion. It is also involved in protein production and the production of blood clotting factors. Symptoms of liver diseases include fatigue, weakness, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, yellow discoloration of the skin known as Jaundice etc. It requires more than 75% of the liver tissues to be damaged to affect the function of the liver. The liver can easily regenerate the damaged cells but if more and 75% of the cells are lost, it may not be able to meet the needs of the body. Some liver problems can be treated with home remedies. Some may require medication and liver failure may require liver transplant.
Home Remedies To Treat Liver Disease
1. Milk Thistle
This herb is effective for a wide variety of liver diseases. There are evidences suggesting that this remedy is beneficial for viral hepatitis, cirrhosis, alcoholic hepatitis, the toxicity caused by chemicals, mushrooms etc.
- Take 900 milligrams of this remedy twice a day at mealtimes.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
This remedy helps to detoxify the liver. If taken before meals, it will help in metabolizing fat easily
- Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in one glass of water
- Add one teaspoon of honey to this mix
- Drink this mixture three times a day to cleanse the liver.
3. Dandelion Root Tea
This remedy helps to promote healthy liver function Make tea using the dandelion root powder available in a food store Take this remedy at least twice daily to get benefited by it. You can also boil a small amount of roots in a glass of water and drink this.
4. Amla Or Indian Gooseberry
This is one of the richest sources of vitamin C and it helps to keep the liver function at optimal level. Studies have proved that amla has liver-protective functions.
- You can eat 4-5 raw amlas a day
- Instead you can use them in salads or grate them and eat with curd and salt.
This is an excellent remedy for non-alcoholic fatty liver conditions. This remedy is used in Ayurvedic preparations to cure liver ailments.
- Powder the licorice root
- Make a tea by pouring boiling water into the powder
- Keep it for a few minutes and strain the liquid
- Consume this tea once or twice a day.
Turmeric has antiseptic properties and also acts as an antioxidant. They can improve the liver health considerably. The antiviral action of turmeric prevents the multiplication of viruses causing hepatitis B and C
- Include turmeric in your cooking
- You can mix ½ tsp turmeric with milk and drink it every day
- You can take half teaspoon turmeric mixed with 1 teaspoonful of honey everyday.
7. Flax Seeds
The liver removes the hormones which are circulating in the blood. This causes strain for the liver. The phytoconstituents in flax seeds prevents the hormones from circulating in the blood and reduces the strain on the liver.
- Use whole or crushed flax seeds on your toast or salads.
- You can also use them along with your cereals.
8. Papaya Fruit
Papaya fruit is an effective remedy for liver cirrhosis. This is one of the safest natural remedy for liver disease.
- Add half teaspoon of lemon juice to two teaspoons of papaya juice and consume it every day
- Take this mixture for three-four weeks to completely cure the problem.
9. Spinach And Carrot Juice
This home remedy is also effective for liver cirrhosis
- Mix half glass of spinach juice and half glass of carrot juice
- Drink this natural juice every day for at least for three hours
10. Avoid Alcohol
- If you want to keep your liver healthy avoid taking alcohol. Alcohol puts strain on the liver.
11. Avocados And Walnuts
If you want to protect your liver from diseases include avocados and walnuts in your diet.
- The glutathione present in avocados and walnut cleanses the toxins deposited in the liver
12. Apples And Leafy Vegetables
Leafy vegetables stimulate the flow of bile and pectin present in the apple remove toxins from the digestive tract. This will help to protect the liver.
13. Drink Fluoride Free Water
Drink plenty of fluoride free water. Water helps to cleanse your system.
- Drink 10-12 glass of water daily to keep your liver healthy and free from toxins.
Regular exercise stimulates the proper digestion of food and the elimination of fat from the body. Exercise increases sweating which helps to remove the toxins through the skin. This relieves the strain on the liver.
- At least 40 minutes of exercise for 5 days of the week is necessary to get the benefits.
15. Green Tea
This is an excellent remedy for liver problems. Green tea contains high amount of catechins which supports the liver functions.
- Drink 3-4 cups of green tea every day to get relief from liver disease and to protect your liver.
Apart from these remedies, avoid the use of cigarettes and the excess use of iron supplements, if you want to protect your liver from diseases.
Are you suffering from any kind of liver diseases? Are you looking for the home remedies to clear the toxins from the liver which are affecting the functioning of this organ? If you feel that your liver diseases is not a severe problem which requires immediate medical attention, you can opt for any of the above given home remedies. Not all home remedies work similarly for everyone, so by trial and error find out which one is effective for you.