Warts are there due to the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) that have several varieties. What type of HPV has caused warts and how your immune system responds to this will decide the seriousness of your warts. It can be the harmless common wart or even herpes. And yes, this is contagious, you get a wart by touching another person or you may even spread it all over your body if you happen to have a single wart! Better scratch, shave, touch or bite your nails with caution if you have warts. Why be alert during these actions? Because, HPV needs just a little broken skin to enter a new site! If you frequently suffer from warts, you need to build your immunity against it. Some of these home remedies for warts will tell you how to cure them and the others will let you know how to strengthen your immunity to fight off warts.
Remedies for Warts Removal
1. Baking Soda Remedy for Warts
Baking Soda, the common kitchen ingredient, has great medicinal properties too. Sodium Bicarbonate or Bicarbonate of Soda is obtained from a natural occurring mineral. It is very alkaline and thus maintains the pH balance of your skin when applied topically making it difficult for the virus to survive. It is safe to be used so you can apply this to your warts.
- Take some baking soda and water.
- Mix them to get a paste like substance.
- Slather this on your warts.
- Let it dry on its own.
- Repeat it daily, if you wish, 2-3 times a day until you get rid of warts.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar for Warts
Apple cider vinegar has strong anti inflammatory as well as acidic properties. While you will not be able to eliminate the virus with apple cider vinegar, you will actually make the skin on which the wart lies, fall off. Virus will automatically go with it. And because some of your skin will peel and fall off, there might be a mild sore like feeling on the site but it is nothing to worry about as it will heal fast.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Cotton balls
- Bandage or tape
- Soak the cotton ball in apple cider vinegar.
- Just before you go to bed each night, apply this soaked cotton ball to your wart.
- Use the bandage or a tape to hold it in place.
- Leave it there overnight.
- Remove it in the morning.
- If you wish and if its possible, after taking bath, apply a fresh cotton ball soaked in apple cider vinegar and leave it for whole day. Change the same in the evening.
- You may need to continue this for 1-2 weeks to get rid of warts completely. Also continue doing this for a few days after the wart has fallen off so that they do not come back.
3. Garlic for Wart Removal
Garlic has antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that make it a good remedy for warts. A study conducted in 2005 used of extracts of garlic for treating warts and corns. In this experiment, a lipid extract of garlic was applied twice a day till the warts got cured. Lipid extract is the fat-soluble portion of the garlic though you don’t need to worry about extracting any portion from garlic and use this kitchen herb in the following ways.
Ways to Use Garlic for Warts
- Take 1-2 cloves of garlic. Mash them and apply this on your wart. You may hold it with bandage or tape. Change after few hours.
- Crush garlic cloves and extract the juice from it. Apply this on your warts 2-3 times a day.
- Cut a garlic clove in two halves. Take one half and rub it on your wart.
4. Witch Hazel for Warts
Witch hazel, extracted from the leaves and bark of the shrub Hamamelis virginiana, is an important part of traditional medicinal treatments in North America. Not only is it anti-inflammatory but witch hazel is also an excellent anti-microbial agent. Due to this property, witch hazel extract can fight against a number of bacteria, virus and fungi. It is also an astringent having high amounts of tannins that will help tighten skin proteins and providing a protecting covering so that your skin heals faster once the wart gets removed.
- Pour some witch hazel extract on to a cotton ball.
- Apply this to your warts.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day.
- Continue till you get rid of warts and even after that for few days to prevent warts.
5. Potatoes for Warts Removal
Potatoes are probably the most popular vegetable all over the world. Apart from tasting good, potatoes are a powerhouse of nutrients. The starches present in potatoes are complex carbohydrates. This vegetable is rich in minerals, vitamins and has small amounts of fiber and protein as well. But what is more important when it comes to cure warts is the highly alkaline nature of potatoes. This makes the environment hostile for virus to live. When you apply raw potatoes on your skin, you will feel its anti-irritating, soothing and de-congesting properties. In fact, most of the traditional medicines recommend potato juice for treating a wide variety of skin conditions like burns, rashes, skin redness, itching and dehydration. Here is how you can use potatoes for warts.
Ways to Use Potatoes for Warts
- Wash a potato properly and cut a thick slice out of it. Place this slice on your wart and rub it letting the potato juice coat your wart. Do this for a couple of minutes. Repeat 2-3 times a day.
- Grate or crush a potato and extract its juice. Apply this to your warts 2-3 times a day.
- At night, before you go to bed, place a slice of potato on your wart and secure it with bandage or tape. Remove it in the morning.
6. Milkweed Juice for Warts
Abundantly found along the roadsides, milkweed has been used as a traditional medicine for warts and ringworm by Native Americans. Modern studies have found that this herb contains such properties as subtonic, diaphoretic, alterative, expectorant, diuretic, laxative, escharotic, carminative, anti-spasmodic, anti-pleuritic, stomachic, astringent, anti-rheumatic, and anti-syphilitic properties. Of these, its escharotic properties seem to be useful in curing warts. An escharotic is defined as a substance that causes tissue to die and slough off such as acids and alkalis that do exactly the same. Its astringent properties too can help cure warts by speeding up the healing of skin. The milk like sap of milkweed can help you get rid of warts.
How to Use Milkweed for Warts?
- Wash the area having wart and use a pumice stone to gently file your wart. It needs to be exposed a little so be gentle otherwise your skin will get damaged.
- Get some sap of milkweed. For this, you can break leaves of milkweed and squeeze the bottom of their stems. The milk of milkweed will ooze out from here.
- Apply this sap to your wart.
- Leave and forget just to apply it again after a few hours.
Precaution: If you have a sensitive skin, it might get irritated. If you feel itch or see rashes, stop using milkweed juice and wash off the area properly. Also, milkweed sap can be poisonous if consumed. Be careful while using it on warts. Keep it away from kids and pets.
7. Use Banana Peel to Cure Warts
Banana is one of the healthiest fruits and so is its peel which is full of various nutrients. Banana peel has antioxidants too which is good for your skin as a whole but what seems to work for warts is the enzyme called proteolytic enzyme which is present in banana flesh as well as peels. This enzyme is thought to eliminate warts effectively.
Ways to Use Banana Peel for Warts
- Take a banana peel. With the help of a spoon or some other object, scrap the inside of it to take out the inner material of the peel. Apply this to your warts. Repeat twice a day. Always wash hand after touching your wart.
- Cut a piece out of a banana peel. Place this on your wart in a way that white part (the inner part) touches your wart. Now secure with a bandage or tape. Leave it overnight and remove in the morning. Continue applying banana peel till your warts get cured.
8. Fig Sap for Wart Removal
This is a folk remedy, probably from Iran, but now used in many parts of the world. A study was conducted to compare fig as a remedy for warts with cryotherapy. This study established that fig tree latex is effective in eliminating warts. The study found no side-effects on the patients who were subjects under this study and there was a low recurrence rate. However, the study did not found out the exact mechanism as to how fig tree sap treated warts but it said that this might be the result of the proteolytic activity of the fig latex enzymes.
How to Use Fig Sap for Wart?
- Break a leaf or a thin sprig from a fig tree.
- Squeeze the bottom, exposed part, of the stem where you will see a white thick liquid. This is the latex of fig tree which can be called sap or fig milk too.
- Immediately apply this milk to your wart. In a few minutes, this latex will dry out and become a glue like substance.
- After applying the fig milk on your wart just forget it.
- Apply this twice a day.
- It will take about 7-10 days to burn out your warts.
- Initially, you will have only a prickling sensation and may not see any change in your warts but eventually, the wart will become darker in color and will fall off.
Precaution- Don’t apply fig milk on your face, especially around your eyes. It is also not recommended for warts on sensitive areas like the genital warts. You can, however, safely use fig sap to remove warts on your fingers, hands, neck, ears, feet etc.
9. Dandelion Juice for Warts
Dandelions have been used for many diseases, warts too. You may pluck any part of dandelion, be it roots, stems, or leaves, it will ooze out a white sticky resin which is sometimes referred to as dandelion juice. This juice of dandelion is applied directly to warts daily several times a day. The exact reason why dandelion cures warts is not known but they do dissolve the warts gradually.
How to use dandelion to remove warts?
- Get a dandelion flower, leaf or a part of its stem or root.
- Squeeze the stem of the flower or leave or any other part that you have got.
- As you squeeze, you’ll be able to see a milk like drop.
- Touch your wart with this drop and leave it to dry on its own.
- Repeat several times a day.
- Your wart will gradually turn black and will eventually drop off.
10. Pineapple for Warts
Native Americans have long used pineapple juice to heal their wounds. It can be used to remove warts as well. The enzyme called bromelain present in pineapple juice can dissolve proteins and it is this property of the fruit that helps remove warts.
Ways to Apply Pineapple Juice to Warts
- Take a piece of pineapple peel. Place this on your wart inside out, the soft portion should touch your wart. Secure this with a bandage or tape and then go to sleep. In the morning, remove the peel and wash off with warm water. Repeat this daily till your wart falls off. Take care so that pineapple peel doesn’t touch your healthy skin around the wart.
- Take some pineapple juice in a bowl. Soak your wart affected skin in this juice for 3-5 minutes. Your feet or fingers having wart can be treated like this. Wash off and then pat dry. Repeat 3-4 times a day.
- If your wart is in such an area that cannot be soaked in pineapple juice, just soak a cotton ball in pineapple juice and place this to your wart. Secure it with something like bandage or cloth. Remove the cotton ball after about 5 minutes. Repeat this 3-4 times a day.
11. Basil Leaves for Wart Removal
The holy basil has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it a great skin friendly herb. Because warts are a result of virus (HPV), the anti viral basil can do wonders to get you rid of warts.
- Basil leaves (preferably fresh)- handful
- Mortar and pestle (or anything that can crush the leaves)
- Bandage or cloth
- Crush the basil leaves. Use some water if needed. You need a thick paste of basil leaves.
- Apply the basil leaves paste on your wart.
- Secure this with bandage or cloth.
- Leave it for as long as you can.
- Again apply basil paste after sometime.
- Repeat this throughout the day till you get rid of wart.
12. Chickweed for Wart Removal
Chickweed (Stellaria media) is one of the best herbs for wart removal, as per the folk remedies. However, try to get fresh organic chickweed for best results. This herb is high on saponins that help dissolve the warts. Here’s what you need to do with chickweed to get rid of warts.
- Crush the chickweed using a little water.
- Apply this crushed chickweed top your wart.
- Secure it with a bandage.
- Leave for several hours.
- Repeat this 3-4 times a day.
13. Mullein Flowers for Warts
Mullein flowers also find place in the cupboards of herbalists as a remedy for warts along with many other medical conditions. These flowers have in them gum, resin,some fatty matter, glucoside, free acid and phosphoric acid along with some mineral salts and volatile oil. All its components make mullein flowers a good remedy for wart removal. In fact, when you steep mullein flowers in olive oil for several days, you get a fine bactericide. It is popularly known as mullein oil and is used to treat many ailments.
Ways to Use Mullein Flowers for Warts
- Make some mullein juice by crushing the flowers with a little water. Apply this to your warts 3-4 times a day.
- Rub the powder made from the dried roots of mullein plant. This is more effective in curing rough warts than smooth ones.
- Make some mullein tea by steeping the mullein flowers in hot water for several minutes. Make it a strong tea. Soak a cotton ball in this tea and place it on your warts. Secure with bandage and leave for several hours. Repeat 3-4 times a day.
- Make mullein oil by infusing the flowers in olive oil. Let the oil steep in sun for at least 21 days. Strain and store in glass bottles. Apply this oil to warts 3-4 times a day.
14. Essential Oils Remedy for Wart Removal
If you think, its too much to find the herbs or prepare home made poultice, tea and oils to remove warts, you can always use essential oils to cure them. Essential oils are easily available and are strong enough to deal with the stubborn virus that cause warts. However, not all or any essential oil will be effective in removing warts. You need to get an essential oil which has some kind of anti-viral, anti-bacterial and other such properties. Here is a list of such essential oils that can remove warts. Below the list, you will also find the way to use these oils so that you can get rid of warts.
List of Essential Oils Effective for Wart Removal
- Lavender oil
- Lemon oil
- Tea tree oil
- Cypress oil
- Geranium-rose oil
- Helichrysum oil
- Blue yarrow oil
How to Use Essential Oils to Remove Warts?
- Aloe vera gel- few drops
- One of the essential oils from the above list- 1 drop
- Bandage, preferably a small medical tape
- Mix the drops of aloe vera gel and the drop of essential oil.
- Apply this to your wart.
- Now secure it with the bandage or tape.
- Repeat this twice a day till you get rid of your wart.
15. Naturally Boost Immunity to Treat and Prevent Warts
If you get warts more than often, you may have a suppressed immunity. A weakened immune system will always make you susceptible to common warts. A strong immune system is capable of triggering the creation of antibodies that can fight off the HPV virus as soon as it starts infecting you. A weakened immune system, however, may not create these antibodies. Therefore, you need to boost your immune system, naturally though, through diet.
- Have lots of fresh and raw cabbage and broccoli.
- Use more of raw garlic in your meals.
- Just as garlic, use more onions too. More often keep your onions raw. However, cooked onions are good too.
- Increase the intake of fresh lemon juice. You can even add lemon juice to your salads, gravies etc.
- Have oranges, at one, everyday. You need to increase your intake of vitamin C too.
- Have one banana everyday. It is rich in potassium that can fight off virus.
Once you make your immune system stronger than before, you will experience lesser instances of warts. If, somehow, you get couple of warts now and then, you always have the above home remedies for wart removal to help you out.