Coconut oil is one of the best natural remedies for eczema. Those who suffer from eczema have sensitive skin that reacts when it comes in contact with most of the ingredients used to relieve the discomforts. Sometimes, the sensitivity of the skin reaches to a level where skin infection increases even due to medically approved creams and ointments prescribed by dermatologists. In such a situation, coconut oil proves to be a boon for eczema sufferers.
Is coconut oil good for eczema?
One of the studies conducted by the Department of Dermatology, Jose R. Reyes Memorial Medical Centre, Manila, Philippines found out that virgin coconut oil is better for eczema than mineral oil when used to treat mild to moderate atopic dermatitis. The question, however, is why coconut oil is good for eczema? Let’s try to find out.
- Coconut oil has excellent anti-fungal, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties. A study by University of Michigan Medical School had found out that a toxin produced by the common bacteria Staphylococcus aureus or ‘staph’ affect the immune-system cells in the skin. This causes these cells to react in a manner that produces rashes similar to that of eczema. The anti-microbial qualities of coconut oil work to combat these bacteria and help you get rid of eczema.
- Eczema makes the skin very dry which in turn makes it itchy and flaky. In many cases, nourishment given to the skin has helped in treating eczema. Coconut oil has Caprylic acid, Lauric acid, Capric acid vitamin E and K. All these nutrients help in the nourishment of your skin in order to reduce the itching and flaking of skin.
- Some of the studies have shown that the children who were exclusively fed with breast milk for at least 4 months were less likely to get eczema. One of the common factors between breast milk and coconut oil is the presence of lauric acid. It is a medium-chain fatty acid which gets converted into monolaurin once it gets inside your body. Monolaurin has toxic effects on viruses, bacteria, fungus and other microbes.
- Coconut oil effectively moisturizes your skin when applied topically. As it doesn’t contain any synthetic ingredients or moisturizing agents but is all natural makes it a safe remedy for even babies who have eczema.
- Coconut oil is effective for baby eczema for one more reason; it improves immune system of the baby. The lauric acid and caprylic acid present in coconut oil are responsible for boosting immunity.
- It has been found that keeping the skin moisturized helps reduce the severity of eczema. The medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) present in coconut oil can effectively penetrate into the skin and make it soft from within.
Virgin Coconut Oil for Eczema
Now when you know why is coconut oil good for eczema, make yourself aware of the fact that what we are talking about here is the virgin coconut oil. Yes, the refined coconut oil made with ‘copra’ does not have right nutrition. Copra itself is not edible so the oil extracted from it is obviously not of high quality. Virgin coconut oil is extracted from fresh coconut which is first dried. A dried coconut and copra are two different qualities. Copra is also a dried coconut but it is the one that has been removed from the coconut shell because it isn’t edible and thus refined to produce coconut oil! Dried coconut, on the other hand, is the one which is the ‘dried’ form of an edible fresh coconut. Thus, whenever buying coconut oil for eczema, ensure that it is a virgin coconut oil made with coconut and not copra. Then only can you get better results for eczema elimination.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Eczema
You can use coconut oil internally as well as externally to cure your eczema. Here are some ways to use coconut oil for eczema remedy.
Use Coconut Oil Topically to Cure Eczema
Coconut oil is so healthy and useful for your skin that you actually need no other ingredients to mix with it. Just apply plain virgin coconut oil to your skin and get rid of eczema.
- Virgin coconut oil
- Wash your eczema affected skin and pat it dry
- Apply coconut oil by rubbing it lightly over the skin
- Do this multiple times a day, as many times as think your skin needs it.
Homemade Coconut Oil Lotion for Eczema
You can always use coconut oil as it is but if you want to make it some more effective by combining the properties of other useful ingredients, also good for eczema treatment, make this coconut oil lotion for eczema at home.
- Pure Shea butter – ½ cup
- Coconut oil – ½ cup
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Lavender essential oil – 30-40 drops
- Tea tree essential oil- 5-10 drops
- Take a double boiler. If you don’t have it, you may also use a small pot placed inside a larger pot
- Place Shea butter and coconut oil inside your double boiler and heat them until they get combined with each other after melting.
- Now add honey to the She butter and coconut oil mixture inside your boiler.
- Let the honey melt.
- When it melts and combines with the oil mixture, add lavender and tea tree oils. Keep stirring to combine them.
- Now let the oil mixture cool down slightly
- Once you see the mixture getting somewhat solid but still in a liquid state, mix it using a hand-held mixer or any other tool with the same effect.
- You need to mix the solution for few minutes until its color becomes light and its texture appears to be frothy.
- Now leave it for 10 minutes.
- Mix it again for a couple of minutes and leave for another 10 minutes.
- Repeat doing this till the time you get the required consistency of the lotion.
- After you get the required cream like or a lotion like consistency (whatever you prefer), store it in a mason jar or some other container of your choice.
- Apply this homemade coconut oil lotion on your eczema ridden skin 1-2 times a day.
DIY Homemade Coconut Oil Cream for Eczema
Here is another recipe for making a coconut oil cream for eczema at home. This cream actually uses other oils along with coconut oil to help you get rid of eczema forever.
- Coconut Oil- 1/2 cup
- Olive oil- 1/2 cup
- Almond oil- 1/2 cup
- Solid beeswax – 1/4 cup OR Beeswax pastilles- 2/3 cup
- Shea butter- 1 tbsp
- Cocoa butter- 1 tbsp
- Lavender Essential Oil – 30-40 drops
- Vitamin E oil- 1 tsp Or 1 capsule
- Place all the three oils, beeswax and butters in a wide mouthed mason jar
- Take a large pot, half filled with water.
- Place the water filled pot on medium heat and the jar with all oils and butters inside the pot.
- Heat the water until all the ingredients inside the jar melt completely.
- Take out the jar and mix the melted ingredients well to combine them properly.
- Let it cool down till it gets a little solid but still in liquid state
- Add the essential oil and vitamin E oil at this point and mix it once again
- Let it cool down. If you think it necessary, you may give it a final stir after 10-15 minutes.
- Once your cream cools down completely, cover the jar with its lid.
- Apply this cream to your eczema affected skin 2-3 times a day or as needed.
Easy Homemade Coconut Oil Lotion for Eczema
If the above two recipes of coconut oil lotion and cream seem to be too much to do, you may use this simple recipe for making a coconut oil lotion for eczema.
- Coconut oil- 6 tbsp
- Rosemary oil- 2 tsp
- Vitamin E oil- 2 tsp
- Place the coconut oil in a jar or any other container of your choice.
- If the coconut oil is in solid state as it tends to solidify in cold weather, place the container in a pot containing hot water. In a few minutes, the coconut oil will melt down.
- Mix rosemary and vitamin E oils with this liquid coconut oil.
- Mix well and cover the jar with lid.
- Apply this lotion on affected skin whenever required.
Coconut Oil Bath for Eczema
You may also soak in water mixed with coconut oil. It is especially beneficial when you have eczema on larger areas of your skin scattered all over your body or when you have eczema in hard to reach places like your back or the buttocks.
- Coconut oil- 1 cup
- Warm bath water (never use hot water when suffering from eczema)
- Fill your bath tub with warm (not hot) water
- Add the coconut oil and mix it well
- Soak in this water for about half an hour
- After this, pat dry yourself with a towel
Consume Coconut Oil Internally to Cure Eczema
You may consume coconut oil daily to boost your immunity. This not only helps cure eczema but also ensures it doesn’t come back.
- Consume 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil daily.
- If you can’t take it by itself, add coconut oil to your salads as dressing
- You may also use coconut oil as a medium for cooking.
- However, never consume more than 1-2 tbsp coconut oil a day. After all, it is a fat and its overconsumption may lead to other problems like obesity. If using coconut oil daily, reduce the consumption of other oils and butters to keep the daily consumption of fats at desirable levels.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Baby Eczema
Coconut oil, being natural, is one of the safest things to use on your baby’s skin to relieve the little soul of all the discomforts associated with eczema. It is better to use coconut oil in its pure form when using for babies. Get virgin coconut oil and apply a very little amount of this on your baby’s skin whenever needed throughout the day. It is better not to mix anything with coconut oil when using it for your baby. As the skin of babies is too sensitive, anything might cause negative effects.
These were the few ways to use coconut oil for eczema. Choose the one that suits best for you or your baby and say good bye to eczema!