If you have a red blotchy skin anywhere on your body, you need to find the cause behind it. Generally you get this red blotchy skin on chest, face and legs but arms are not too uncommon. There may be a variety of reasons that may be causing your type of red blotchy skin. It is important to see your doctor to diagnose what’s causing your blotchy skin just to rule out any serious health issues behind these red blotchy skin patches on your body. Once you know the reason, then you can decide whether home remedies for blotchy skin are sufficient or you need to treat it with medicines.
Causes of Red Blotchy Skin
Here are some causes of red blotchy skin to let you have an idea about the possible reasons for your uneven skin tone.
Certain skin conditions such as keratosis pilaris, eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, contact dermatitis etc. can be cause for your red blotchy skin. The treatment or home remedy will depend upon the condition. For example, if it is due to keratosis pilaris then your blotchy skin is due to excessive production of keratin, the protein that makes up your skin. This excessive keratin then clogs the pores of your skin and gives you red blotchy skin. You will need to exfoliate such skin patches in order to open up the clogged pores and reduce the redness and inflammation.
Extreme Weather Conditions
If it is too cold and dry, your skin loses moisture which causes dryness and redness of your skin giving you blotchy skin of face and sometimes on other body parts too. The same is true with very hot weather, particularly when you get exposed to sun. Sometimes, in spring also you suffer from red blotchy skin due to certain allergens that your body can’t stand. All these conditions need different treatments and remedies. For example, if it is due to dry cold weather, you need to moisturize your skin. If burned by sun, you have to soothe your blotchy skin. And for those blotches caused by allergy, you need to use natural or medical antihistamines.
Certain fungal infections like tinea versicolor and ringworm etc. Can also cause your skin develop blotchy patches. In such cases, your skin can turn white, pink, tan, brown, or red and even scaly. You may have blotchy skin on leg, chest, hands, arms or face or all over the body depending on the type of fungus behind it. In such cases, you need to use anti-fungal remedies to get rid of your blotchy skin.
Hormonal changes, such as those occuring during pregnancy, can also cause blotchy skin on face due to a condition known as melasma, or chloasma. In this, the women get dark patches on face. It is wise to consult doctor in such case instead of using remedies because pregnancy is a critical stage to deal with.
Post Inflammatory Hyper-pigmentation
Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) is a darker or blotchy skin patch that can be seen after your skin suffers from a trauma or disease like rashes, contact dermatitis, burns, allergy, injury, acne, as well as infections. When your skin suffers from such conditions as pimples, rashes, cuts, bruises etc. your body increases the production of pigment in such injured areas. This discolours your skin and gives you blotchy skin.
Sometimes stress too causes blotchy skin patches on your body. Red blotchy skin that is itchy and inflamed can be seen on face, neck, and upper chest. Once you relieve tension, the skin gets to its normal hue. However, sometimes histamine-blocking drugs or remedies such as moisturizers or lotions may be needed to get rid of the swelling and redness.
Harsh chemicals such as those in detergents, perfumes or cosmetics as well as or rough, itchy fabric can also give you blotchy skin. Animal dander, dust and other pollutants are also cause of blotchy skin, especially when you have sensitive skin.
You may get it from your genes. People with fair skin may be prone to red blotchy skin as redness and swelling are more visible on such skin. Blotchy skin caused by genetics is tougher to treat. However, moisturizing and avoiding irritants may keep the redness and inflammation under control.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Blotchy Skin
Here are certain home remedies for blotchy skin. If the cause behind your skin patches are not serious and may stand the gentle remedies, you can try using them to get rid of blotchy skin. If, however, they have certain serious health concern, it’s recommended to consult your doctor for proper treatment of your blotchy skin patches.
1. Aloe Vera for Blotchy Skin
Aloe vera is considered to be an ultimate skin friendly herb. When you apply the soothing aloe vera gel on to your skin, you instantly feel cool and your itchy skin feels as if it has found just the right thing to treat itself. While aloe vera naturally protects your skin from environmental elements like smoke, pollutants and the sun rays, it also reduces scarring and helps heal cuts, bruises and burns. Therefore, you ay apply aloe vera gel to your red blotchy skin caused by almost any type of factor. It will relieve redness, swelling and inflammation due to your blotchy skin.
- Aloe vera gel
- Cotton ball (optional)
- Take the aloe vera gel out of the container or directly from the aloe vera leaf if you have one.
- Apply this on your blotchy skin with the help of cotton ball or your fingers.
- Leave it for sometime. Though you do not need to wash it off but if you feel sticky, wash off with water after at least 20-30 minutes.
2. Baking Soda for Blotchy Skin
As explained while discussing causes of blotchy skin, certain skin conditions need gentle exfoliation to get rid of the blotchy patches caused by dead skin cells. Baking soda is an excellent natural exfoliant that helps open up clogged pores and deeply cleanse them to give you even skin tone.
- Baking soda- 2-3 tbsp
- Water- enough to make paste
- Make a paste by mixing baking soda and water.
- Apply this to your blotchy skin patches.
- Scrub gently for few minutes.
- Wash off with water.
- You may repeat this daily or once in a 2-3 days till you get rid of your blotchy skin.
3. Oatmeal for Blotchy Skin
Oatmeal is a great moisturising agent. It can rehydrate your extremely dry skin that may be giving you blotchy skin on leg or even on face and neck. The compound avenanthramides present in oatmeal has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties too. It helps you get rid of redness and itchiness of skin. If you have blotchy skin all over your body, the best way would be to take oatmeal bath. Here are the two ways to use oatmeal for blotchy skin.
Apply Oatmeal as Mask
- Oatmeal- 2 tbsp
- Warm water- 2-3 tbsp
- Honey (optional)- 1/2 tsp
- If your oats are not in powder form, grind them to get fine powder.
- Add water to it to get a paste.
- Add the honey too, if using.
- Apply this mixture to your blotchy patches on skin.
- Leave it for about 5 minutes.
- Now gently massage your skin with it for a couple of minutes.
- Leave it again for 5 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat at least 3 times a week.
Oatmeal Bath for Blotchy Skin
- Oat powder- 1/2- 1 cup
- Lukewarm bath water
- Fill your bath tub with lukewarm water.
- Add the oatmeal powder to this and stir well to mix it in t here.
- Soak yourself in this water for about 15-20 minutes.
- Now take shower.
- Pat dry.
- Repeat 3-4 times a week to get rid of red blotchy skin.
4. Green Tea Remedy for Blotchy Skin
Green tea has been undoubtedly accepted as one of the best anti-inflammatory ingredient. Its natural anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties help you get rid of redness and swelling of blotchy skin that makes you uncomfortable.
- Warm water- 1 cup
- Green tea or tea bag- 1 tsp or 1 tea bag
- Rice flour/ oatmeal powder (optional)- 1 tbsp
- Soak the tea leaves or the tea bag in the warm water for 10 minutes.
- Strain or take out the tea bag.
- Add the rice flour or oatmeal powder if using to this tea and mix to get a paste.
- If you are simply using the tea, soak a cotton ball or a washcloth in it and place it all over your face or wherever you have blotchy skin.
- If you have made a paste by mixing the flour, apply t his to your blotchy skin patches like a mask.
- In either case, leave it for 15-20 minutes on your skin.
- Then wash it off with water.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.
5. Coconut Oil for Blotchy Skin
Coconut oil has anti-septic and anti-microbial properties. Also the fatty acids of coconut oil make it absolutely moisturizing for your dry skin that might be the cause behind your blotchy skin. While its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties relieve redness and inflammation, the moisturizing effect deeply rehydrates your skin to help you get rid of blotchy skin.
Apply Plain Coconut Oil to Blotchy Skin
- Coconut oil
- Take some coconut oil and apply to your blotchy skin patches.
- Rub gently for a couple of minutes.
- Now leave it to be naturally absorbed by your skin.
- Apply the oil as many times as you feel essential to get rid of dry patchy skin.
Make Coconut oil Scrub for Blotchy Skin
- Coconut oil- 2 tbsp
- Sugar/ brown sugar- 1 tsp
- Honey (optional)- 1 tsp
- Mix the oil and sugar and also honey if using. Honey provides your skin with extra moisture.
- Apply this to your blotchy skin.
- Scrub gently for a couple of minutes.
- Wash off with water.
- Repeat 1-2 times a week
- This is especially good for blotchy skin caused by keratosis pilaris.
6. Yogurt for Blotchy Skin
Yogurt has lactic acid. This acid is an alpha hydroxy acid, the one which is used in various ciosmetics to help smoothen rough, dry skin. Not only this, lactic acid also work as an exfoliant and sloughs off dead skin cells that might be clogging your skin pores and giving you blotchy skin.
- Plain yogurt
- Apply a thick layer of plain yogurt on your blotchy skin patches.
- Leave it there for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.
7. Chamomile for Blotchy Skin
Chamomile has anti-inflammatory properties. It also soothes your red blotchy skin by hydrating it. You can use chamomile oil blended in some carrier oil like coconut or olive oil. You can also make some chamomile tea and give your blotchy skin soothing relief.
- Chamomile tea- 1-2 tsp (May use dried herb or tea bag)
- Warm water- 2-3 cups
- Wash cloth or a towel
- Soak the tea in the warm water for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain or remove the tea bag.
- Let the tea cool down. You may even keep it in the fridge to get a chilled tea for your itchy blotchy skin.
- Now soak the washcloth or the towel in this cold tea and place the cloth onto your blotchy skin.
- Leave it there for 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat daily to get rid of blotchy skin faster.
8. Cucumber mask for Blotchy Skin
Your skin loves cucumber for its ever refreshing properties that soothe and soften your skin, the blotchy one too. Cucumber is loaded with anti-oxdants. Cucurbitacins and cucumerin along with many other anti-oxidant compounds helps to reduce inflammation of your skin. It is also rich in vitamin C, again beneficial for skin and its renewal. While vitamin K in cucumbers reduces dark circles and dark patches on your skin, its pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5) helps skin retain moisture. Also, it is rich in vitamin A (retinol) which is an excellent remedy for dark spots and freckles as well as blotchy skin as it helps your skin control this production of melanin.
- Cucumber- 1-2
- Lavender oil (optional)- few drops
- Cotton ball or washcloth
- Peel and cut the cucumber into pieces.
- Now blend the cucumber pieces and press the resultant pulp to extract the juice out of it.
- Add lavender oil, if using to this cucumber juice.
- Soak the cotton ball in this juice and apply it on to your face, neck, and chest or wherever you have blotchy skin.
- You may also soak a washcloth in the juice and place it over your skin.
- Leave the juice or the soaked washcloth there for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off with cool water.
- You may do this daily or as required by you.
9. Essential Oils for Blotchy Skin
If your blotchy skin is due to post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation, you can think of using a blend of essential oils to fight it off. Essential oils are loaded with antioxidants and have excellent cell regenerative properties. If your skin blotches are due to hyper-pigmented skin, you may use such oils as sandalwood, geranium, frankincense, carrot seed, lavender, cape chamomile and rose oils to make your hyperpigmentation fade away. Kiwi seed essential oil is also effective in fading dark spots.
- Geranium oil- 2-4 drops
- Lavender oil- 2-4 drops
- Chamomile oil-2-3 drops
- Frankincense oil- 1-2 drops
- Rose oil- 1-2 drops
- Carrot seed oil- 1-2 drops
- Carrier Oil (coconut/olive/grapeseed/sweet almond oil)- 1-2 tbsp
- You may get 2-3 oils from the above list and add them to your choice of carrier oil.
- Apply this oil blend to your blotchy skin patches twice a day.
- Geranium oil will hydrate your skin and thus help in the regenerative process of skin cells. It is good for sensitive skin too.
- Lavender oil is antiseptic and helps retain moisture to relieve dry flaky skin. It also returns elasticity to your skin.
- Frankincense oil carries out skin rejuvenation process by balancing out the moisture level of your skin and thus prevents dry flaky skin. It also relieves irritation and allergic reaction.
- Rose oil has antimicrobial properties apart from being aromatic. It also increases your skin’s permeability so that it absorbs all the nutrients properly.
- Chamomile oil strengthens skin capillaries to make it healthy and glowing. It also has anti-inflammatory and hydrating properties.
- Carrot seed oil stimulates the growth of new skin cells.
Precaution- First conduct a patch test to know if you are allergic to any of the oils. Then only use the oils in your oil blend for blotchy skin.
10. Vitamin E Oil for Blotchy Skin
Vitamin E oil is a healing oil for skin and that’s why you can see it on the ingredients list of variety of skin cosmetic products. It has strong antioxidant properties that not only prevent skin from premature aging but also fade away the scars and spots on it. It also provides essential moisture to your skin that is essential to treat dry blotchy skin.
- Vitamin E oil- 2-3 drops
- Olive oil or water (optional)- 1/2 tsp
- Mix the vitamin E oil with olive oil or water, if using.
- Apply this to your blotchy skin twice a day, in the morning and at night.
- You may also use vitamin E oil as it is, without mixing it with anything.
Diet Remedies for Blotchy Skin
Your skin will become what it is based on the nutrients you provide. And your diet is the main source from where your skin receives all the essential nutrients as well as the toxins that might make it beautiful spotless or blotchy spotted skin! For example, if you give your skin healthy fats like those derived from avocados, olives, coconut oils, it will remain soft and supple. On the other hand if you give it polyunsaturated fats and trans fats found in most of the processed oils, your skin will get damaged and blotchy along with various other health issues due to impaired cellular structure and suppressed immune system. Like these oils that make your skin age and full with dark spots, wheat and sugar too trigger inflammatory response in your skin and body. So, what to eat? Here’s the list of nutrients that you must get from your food. Eat those foods that are rich in these nutrients:
- Omega-3 fatty acids balance your hormones, and make your skin cells healthy and youthful. Have flaxseed and its oil, salmon and other such fish, chia seeds etc.
- Vitamin C for antioxidants that will reduce oxidative damage and keep your skin healthy, rejuvenated and young without blemishes and spots. Have bell peppers, dark leafy greens, kiwis, broccoli, berries, citrus fruits, tomatoes, peas, papayas.
- Vitamins B3 and B12 help reduce inflammation and also combat hyperpigmentation. They are good for blotchy skin. Have fish, peanuts, pork, mushrooms, green peas, sunflower seeds, avocados, low fat dairy, and eggs.
- Vitamin E is a very powerful antioxidant and is especially helpful in reducing scars and dark blotchy skin patches. Have almonds, spinach, seeds, dark leafy greens, wheat germ oil, hazel nuts, pine nuts, broccoli, avocado, parsley, papaya, olives etc.
- Zinc rich foods as they promote hormone balance and also repair your skin. Have spinach, pumpkin and squash seeds, wheatgerm, nuts, beans, seafood.
- Polyphenols like resveratrol help reverse certain damages done to DNA in your body and skin cells. Have green tea, grapes, cranberries, blueberries, peanuts etc.