The hair can be considered as oily if it has a greasy appearance from 2nd to 3rd day after shampooing. The secretion of sebum by the sebaceous glands of the scalp causes the oiliness. The secretion of sebum is controlled by androgens which are present in small quantities in women. Secretion of sebum starts at the puberty stage and the hair will be greasier in women during menstruation. The oiliness of the hair makes it appear as stringy and dirty even though you wash your hair regularly. Oil on the scalp is necessary to keep the scalp healthy and to prevent damage to hair such as split ends and provide a good sheen. Oily hair can cause dandruff and itching.
Causes Of Oily Hair
Several factors are responsible for the excess secretions of oil from the sebaceous glands. Some of them are
• Hormonal fluctuation in women due to menstrual cycle, use of birth control pills, etc.
• Excessive consumption of oil rich food
• Poorly adapted hair care
Symptoms Of Oily Hair
The common symptoms of oily hair include
• Excess sebum production which makes the hair heavy, weak and difficult to manage.
• Formation of greasy dandruff which sticks to the sebum forming a layer on the scalp.
• Itchiness of the scalp
• Hair loss or progressive thinning of hair
So, it is necessary to avoid the proliferation of sebum into scalp to prevent the damages to the hair and scalp due to the growth of bacteria and fungi. The excessive sebum blocks the hair follicle and disturbs the blood circulation, resulting in weak hair.
The following are the home remedies that you can try out to get effective results for oily hair.
1. Shampoo Everyday
If you are having oily hair, then the best way to get rid of excess oil in your hair is to shampoo your hair everyday. This will help to keep your hair free from oil and make it clean and look beautiful.
• It is ideal for you to rinse your hair thoroughly every time you shampoo so that no residue is left behind or else your hair can easily attract more oil and dirt.
• Go for shampoos that are specifically designed for oily hair. Normal hair needs a shampoo that will have a pH between 4.5 and 6.7. But, oily hair would need a shampoo that is beyond this pH range.
2. Aloe Vera Gel
One of the best home remedies to treat oily hair is the use of aloe vera gel. You can mix the aloe vera gel with any shampoo to get rid of oily hair.
• In a cup of mild shampoo mix a tablespoon of lemon juice as well as one teaspoon of aloe vera gel that you have taken out from a fresh aloe vera.
• Mix this well and apply the required amount on your oily hair, leave it to react on your hair for a few minutes and then rinse it off completely.
• You can store the remaining home made shampoo in your fridge for about a week and use it every day.
3. Egg Yolk
Egg yolk is found to be a good product that you can use on your hair as it helps to condition your hair and to remove excess oils. It is an age old home remedy to treat excess oil in the hair.
• Take 2 egg yolks and beat it well. In this egg yolk mixture add a few drops of lemon juice and mix well once again.
• Now apply this mixture on your wet hair and leave it there for five minutes.
• Rinse it off thoroughly so that no residue is left behind.
• Use this egg yolk mixture on your hair two to three times a week to get rid of oily hair.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is for the do a good job on oily hair. You need to make sure that you only use diluted apple cider vinegar on your hair.
• Add two to three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar in a mug of water and mix it well.
• Rinse your oily hair with this mixture and wash it off after a few minutes.
• Repeat this process at least three times a week to get rid of oily hair problems.
5. Instant Remedy
If you do not have the time to go for a wet shampoo bath as you are running out of time, you can try a dry shampoo process. It is nothing but applying some talc on your scalp. You need to dust it off immediately.
• The talc that you apply on our scalp will prevent the oil that your body prepares to react on your hair. Hence, your hair will not look oily.
• You can also use corn starch instead of talcum powder on your hair.
• Make sure that you wash off your hair once you return back.
• You can also use some baby powder on your scalp. Sprinkle it on your scalp and leave it to rest for five minutes. Then you comb your hair well. The powder will effectively soak all the excess oils.
6. Witch Hazel Oil
Witch hazel oil is found to be an effective remedy that works wonders on your hair and makes it free from oil.
• Get hold of a bottle of witch hazel oil. Take 4 drops of witch hazel oil and mix it well with 2 tablespoons of water.
• Dab cotton ball in this mixture and then apply this cotton ball on your scalp.
• This will help in reducing the oiliness of the hair. Repeat it three to four times a week or every day for better results.
7. Hair Styling Products
If you have oily hair, then it is better not to apply or use any of the hair styling products that are available in the market.
• Never apply hair conditioners on your hair.
• Do not use hair shampoos that have built in conditioners.
• If you need to use any hair styling products, make sure that you just use it at your hair ends.
• It is better to avoid excessive brushing of your hair.
8. Bath Soap
Occasional use of bath soap on your hair is found to be an effective home remedy to get rid of excess oil in your hair.
• Try to use bath soap on your hair while you are bathing.
• Apply it on your scalp and hair and use your hands to bring out a rich later. Leave it there for two minutes and wash it off completely.
• Use bath soap just once a week on your hair to get rid of excess oil. It could be harmful for your hair in the long run.
Tea has one of the most important ingredients known as the tannic acid that will help in making your hair dry.
• All you need is to boil tea leaves or tea powder in a glass of water.
• When it is in lukewarm state, apply this tea mixture on your scalp and hair. Leave it there for three to five minutes.
• Rinse it off with water and shampoo your hair to get relief from oily hair.
Alcohol is a very effective product that you can use on your hair to get instant and immediate solution to your oily hair problems. Vodka is preferred by most people as the ideal hair tonic to treat oily hair.
• Add one glass of Vodka with two glasses of water.
• Rinse your hair with this vodka mix and leave it there for a few minutes. Wash it off completely. It will make your hair go dry in few minutes.
• You can also use this mix as a spray on your hair to get rid of excess oil in minutes.
Honey is also found to be an effective home remedy to treat oily hair.
• Take two teaspoons of pure honey and to this add one egg yolk.
• Mix it well and allow it to dissolve for 30 minutes.
• Now apply this mixture on your hair properly and massage your hair for a few minutes.
• Leave this mixture on your hair and scalp for 20 minutes.
• Rinse it properly and then use a deep shampoo to wash your hair.
• Repeat this process twice a week to get rid of oily hair.
12. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a very good product for hair care. Lemon juice is a proven home remedy to treat oily hair.
• Take a lemon and extract the juice out of this lemon.
• Mix this lemon juice in a cup of water and to this mixture add three teaspoons of honey.
• Mix well and allow this mixture to dissolve completely. Apply this mixture on your hair and leave it there for three to four minutes.
• Wash it off with a shampoo. Repeat this thrice a week for best results.
13. Healthy Diet
Maintaining a healthy diet is very essential in getting rid of excess oil in your hair.
• It is very important for you to drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated at all times.
• Make sure that you avoid consuming a lot of oily or greasy foods.
• Add healthy fats like olive oil, nuts and fish in your diet.
• It is important to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables to keep your scalp healthy.
14. Henna And Olive Oil
• Add 3 teaspoons of henna powder in a bowl and mix it with one egg.
• To this mixture add 2 tablespoons of honey and a tablespoon of olive oil. Mix all ingredients well.
• Add warm water to make a smooth paste.
• Apply the paste on your oily hair from the root to the tip evenly.
• Cover your coated hair with a plastic bag and towel and leave it for two hours.
• Wash your hair thoroughly and then use a mild shampoo to clean your hair.
15. Diluted Beer
Beer is said to be an effective remedy for oily hair. It will help in removing the excess oil in your hair and will make it look beautiful.
• Make sure that you only use diluted beer on your hair. Mix a glass of beer with a glass of water.
• Apply it as a final rinse on your washed hair. Leave it to rest for three to five minutes.
• Rinse it off well with water.
• The acidic properties of the beer will help in removing excess oil in your hair.
16. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a very popular ingredient that will help in removing excess oil from hair. It can be used in several ways to get rid of excess oil in hair.
• You can use it by mixing it with water alone. Add one tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of water and wash your hair thoroughly with this mixture.
• You can also use baking soda with an ordinary shampoo and rinse your hair thoroughly with it.
• Use it twice a week to get good results.
17. Henna Powder
Henna powder is one ingredient that will help in keeping the hair smooth and shiny as well as helps in removing excess oil.
• Mix six tablespoons of henna with two cups of water.
• Mix it thoroughly to make a smooth paste.
• Now apply this paste on your hair and leave it till the paste dries on your hair.
• Rinse your hair with lime water to get rid of oily hair.
18. Do Not Scratch Scalp
• It is important for you to not comb your hair a lot when you have oily hair.
• Rubbing your scalp or scratching your scalp excessively will stimulate sebaceous glands and will produce excess oil on your scalp. So, never scrub your scalp.