Rosacea is a chronic skin condition that causes redness and pain of the face. The enlarged blood vessels on the face give the face redness. Mostly women in their menopausal age with fair skin are affected by rosacea. Symmetrical rashes are seen on either side of the face and have characteristic papules or pustules. There are no whiteheads or blackheads seen associated with this condition. Using the treatments for acne may worsen this skin condition. If left untreated this skin condition worsens over time. The symptoms may flare up for a period of weeks or months and then get diminished before getting flared up again. You can get relief from rosacea by using certain home remedies for rosacea.
Causes of Rosacea
The exact cause of this skin condition is not known however it is believed that it could be due to a combination of certain hereditary and environmental factors. The following factors are found to trigger or aggravate the condition of rosacea by increasing the blood flow in the blood vessels.
• Hot climatic weather conditions
• Hot baths or saunas
• Hot foods and beverages
• Spicy foods
• Stress, anger or embarrassment
• Strenuous exercise
• Drugs that cause dilation of blood vessels
• Exposure to sun
According to hypotheses, the causes for rosacea may include heredity, psychological factors, connective tissue problems in the skin, swelling of the arteries in the face, bacteria associated with belly infections or perhaps a response to mites that live in the hair follicles. Probably a combination of these factors is the actual cause of rosacea.
Symptoms of Rosacea
The signs and symptoms of this chronic skin condition include
• Redness in the central part of the face especially in nose and cheeks.
• Swollen red bumps on the face resembling acne
• Dryness of the eyes, swollen or reddened eyelids. These symptoms may appear prior to skin symptoms.
• Thickened skin on the nose giving it a bulbous appearance. This symptom is more common in men.
The rosacea home remedies are the excellent way to reduce the redness and inflammation of the skin associated with the problem. Some of the best home remedies rosacea which will help to control the symptoms and flare up of this chronic skin disease is given below.
Rosacea Home Remedies
The home remedies for rosacea includes topical medication as well as medication for internal use. A person with rosacea can use topical medications or internal home remedies to reduce the symptoms of rosacea.
This is one of the popular home remedy for rosacea. The active ingredients present in chamomile have anti –inflammatory effect and provides a soothing effect to the skin. It reduces the redness and prevents the infection of the pustules associated with rosacea.
• Boil handful of pure chamomile or chamomile tea bags in three cups of water for 10 minutes
• Sieve and refrigerate the resulting solution.
• When you need a chamomile compress dip a cotton cloth in chamomile and apply it to the affected area.
• Continue cold compression for 15-20 minutes to get relief from pain and redness.
• Chamomile can also be used as an ointment or cream to treat rosacea.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has many significant health benefits. It is also capable of protecting the skin from rosacea. Aloe Vera extract is used in various preparations used for treating skin problems. The fresh gel from the leaves of Aloe Vera can reduce rosacea by providing a cooling effect to the skin.
• Use either the fresh gel or the gel available in the market twice a day as rosacea home remedy.
3. Green Tea
Applying green tea is an effective remedy for this skin condition. Green tea has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant; anti carcinogenic properties it also protects the skin from the bad effects of sunlight when exposed to the sun.
• You can boil a handful of green tea leaves or tea bags in 2-3 cups of water and use the solution for cold compress after refrigerating it.
• You can use green tea infused face cream to apply on the rosacea affected areas of the skin.
4. Tea Tree Oil
This is one of the powerful natural treatments for rosacea. The tea tree oil has powerful antiseptic as well as anti- inflammatory property and hence helps in curing the symptoms. You can use tea tree oil directly on the skin.
• Take few drops of tea tree oil in your palm and apply it on the affected skin using your index finger.
• Make sure that your palm and fingers are clean to prevent any infection.
• Leave the oil on the face for 30 minutes and wash it off with water.
When applied on the skin oatmeal helps to moisturize and soothe the skin irritation. It also relieves itchiness and has anti-inflammatory properties. The proteins in the oatmeal act as a barrier and protect the skin by buffering both acids and bases.
• Take half cup of water and add 2 tablespoons of oatmeal to it. Let it soak for some time.
• Apply this mix on the affected areas and rub lightly to relieve pain, itching and irritation.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the great home remedies for rosacea. It can be used internally or as a topical medication. Apple cider vinegar helps to maintain the normal pH of the body. It has anti-septic as well as anti-inflammatory properties.
• You can apply raw apple cider vinegar on the affected area to reduce the skin irritation and redness.
• You can also consume two tablespoon apple cider vinegar diluted with one cup of warm water twice daily as a home remedy for rosacea
7. Red Clover
Red clover is considered as the safest remedy for rosacea. This herb has natural healing powers. It reduces the redness and inflammation associated with rosacea.
• Make tea using red clover and hot water
• Consume this tea twice a day to get the desired result.
8. Rose Hips
The oil extracted fro Rose hips is used for treating skin problems such as blisters, scars, sunburns and eczema. It can also be used to reduce the intensity of rosacea infection.
• Apply few drops of Rose Hip oil over the infected area
• Leave it on the skin for 30 minutes and wash off
• Repeat the remedy daily to get better skin
9. Apple Mask
Fresh apple mask can reduce the intensity of this skin condition. Apple mask helps to cool the skin and the blood vessels under it. This provides a soothing effect on the skin.
• Make a paste of apple removing the skin and apply the paste on the face.
• Leave the mask on face for 15 minutes and wash it off with cool water
• Continue this remedy every day till you get relief from the problem
Licorice contains glycyrrhizinic acid which improves dermatitis. The gel containing licorice can reduce the itching and irritation of the skin caused by rosacea.
• Apply the gel containing licorice on the affected areas twice daily to treat the skin problem.
11. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic property and helps to cleanse and soothe the skin when applied on the skin. The geraniol present in lavender may cause irritation of the skin in some people. Apply small amount of lavender oil to a small area on the face to see whether you are allergic to it. If you are not allergic, follow the steps given below.
• Soak a cotton ball with lavender oil
• Massage the oil gently on the rosacea affected areas
• Leave it on the skin for 30-40 minutes and wash clean with water.
• Repeat daily to get clean and good looking skin.
12. Flax Seed Oil
Flax seed oil contains essential fatty acids which are good for general health and the health of your skin. This is an internal home remedy for rosacea.
• Take 1teaspoon of flax seed oil 3 times a day to reduce rosacea infection.
This element helps in maintaining the health of skin and hair in our body. When taken in appropriate quantities it helps to fight rosacea. You can get zinc supplements to treat the skin problems.
• Take 25 milligrams of zinc twice per day along with meals to reduce rosacea symptoms and flare-ups.
14. Grape Seed
The extract from grape seed acts as antioxidant and also has anti-inflammatory property. It increases the collagen protein formation in the skin and helps in reducing the infections of the skin. This helps to reduce rosacea when taken internally.
• To treat rosacea, you will have to consume at least 50mg of grape seed extract thrice daily.
Feverfew reduces the inflammation of the skin and also causes decreased aggregation of platelets. This will help to reduce the redness caused on the skin due to rosacea. This remedy is very effective in reducing the redness of the skin caused by dilation of the blood vessels.
• Apply skin cream containing feverfew on the skin affected by rosacea
• Do not use feverfew if you are pregnant or nursing.
16. Vitamin B –Complex
Vitamin B, especially vitamin B2 or riboflavin is necessary for the health of our skin, hair and nails. Taking vitamin B complex supplements reduce the flare ups of rosacea.
• Consume vitamin B complex tablets or supplements which will be able to provide 100 milligrams of the important B vitamins every day.
17. Vitamin C
This vitamin is helpful in reducing the infection of rosacea as it improves the immunity of the body. It helps to strengthen the connective tissue and promotes healing. To increase the efficiency of this home remedy, use it along with bioflavanoids as they are anti inflammatory and strengthens the blood vessels. The combined action of vitamin C and bioflavonoids reduces the inflammation of the skin and prevents infection.
• Consume 500 milligrams of vitamin C along with bioflavanoids at least three times a day to treat rosacea.
18. Cat’s Claw
The extract of this herb helps to reduce food sensitivities and reestablishes healthier intestinal environment. This will help to reduce the flare up of rosacea caused by food or certain medicines.
• Take at least 500 milligrams of cat’s claw extract three times a day to get the desired result.
• Avoid this home remedy if you are pregnant, breast feeding or an organ transplant patient.
19. Horse Chest Nut
The extract from the seeds are effective in treating vascular problems. It also helps in reducing inflammations in the body. It has been found that this extract is helpful in treating the inflammation caused by rosacea by reducing the enlargement of blood vessels.
• You can use topical creams with Horse chestnut to treat rosacea
• Apply the cream on the affected area and keep it on the skin for at least 30 minutes.
• Wash off the cream using water
• Use this remedy twice daily to get faster results.
20. Gotu Kola
This is another one of natural home remedies for rosacea. The extract from this herb is used in various Chinese and ayurvedic medicinal preparations. This herb is highly effective in preventing viral, bacterial and parasitic infection. It can reduce scars on the skin and can promote wound healing. The chemicals present in the extract reduces the blood pressure and reduces the inflammation. It also increases collagen production in the skin. These benefits of this herb help in reducing the symptoms of rosacea.
• Take approximately 100mg of gotu kola three times a day to promote healing and to reduce inflammation.
Are you a person experiencing regular redness and painful infection of the face? Are you diagnosed with rosacea? There is no reason to worry. The above given home remedies rosacea will be of great help to you. As this condition is triggered by different factors, you will have to find out which home remedy will be more effective for you by trying out different remedies.