There are many people who struggle with their sleep issues. They wake up in the middle of the night often and then lie awake for hours. They are unable to get back to sleep. These are some of the many characteristics of insomniacs. They face difficulty in falling asleep. It takes a toll on their energy levels as well as mood, productivity and health. Those who suffer from chronic insomnia have a persistent problem falling asleep and it leads to ongoing health problems as well. However, it is necessary to identify the main cause that is causing the insomnia and to realize its symptoms. That can then put a stop to the insomnia problem and help one to get their life back on track.
Causes Of Insomnia
The causes of insomnia can be several. It is a common sleep disorder but the causes or the underlying reasons that trigger such sleep disorder may vary from one person to another.
- Stress is found to be the underlying factor for many who suffer from insomnia. Those who are stressed and fatigued might not be able to fall off to sleep even though they feel exhausted. That is a common cause of insomnia.
- Depression is seen to be a common cause of insomnia. It is associated with a feeling of hopelessness or feeling emotionally flat
- Chronic feelings of anxiety or worry are also causes of insomnia. Those who are bound to such feelings on a chronic level usually suffer from insomnia
- Medical conditions like chronic pain, asthma, cancer and other disorders like sleep apnea and others can lead to insomnia
- Psychological problems like traumatic experiences could lead to insomnia
Symptoms Of Insomnia
The symptoms of insomnia are common and persistent in those who suffer from such disorders:
- They face difficulty in falling asleep even though they are feeling exhausted
- Sleep breaks frequently through the night
- Trouble falling back to sleep
- Relying on sleeping pills to get a full night sleep
- Drowsiness through the day or fatigue
- Difficulty in concentrating in one’s work
These symptoms might occur sometime in normal people’s lives but they tend to disappear after a few days’ time. In those who face the persistent problem of insomnia the symptoms continue for long.
Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Insomnia
There are many home remedies that one can try in order to get relief from insomnia. As it is a disorder which can bring on many adverse effects with prolonged condition, it is imperative that the condition be addressed with natural remedies at the earliest to find a long term relief from the condition.
One needs to ensure that they get comfortable in order to have a good night’s sleep. Indeed, insomnia symptoms might disappear if you ensure that you have the right environment to sleep healthily:
- Sleep in a quiet environment
- Sleep in comfortable bed
Ensure A Quiet Environment
When you sleep you need to have a quiet and peaceful surrounding to entice sleep. Make sure that you have such an environment in your bedroom:
- Listen to soothing music
- Do not have loud noises or bright lights on when you are about to sleep
Get The Right Bedding
Even if you think it is trivial, it might hold the key to you feeling comfortable and snoozing away easily. It is known that those who lie on hard mattresses usually find it difficult to fall off to sleep. Again, pillows that do not provide adequate support to the neck and head may not allow one to fall off to sleep.
- Ensure that the mattress is spongy and soft
- The pillows should be big and large enough to support the head and the neck and allow one to sleep without any discomfort
Ensure No Lights
When you are sleeping in a dark room you will be able to sleep well
- No lights allow the eyes to close easily
- It helps the mind to reduce in alertness and induce sleep
Make Some Rules For The Bedroom
The bedroom should be off limits for certain activities:
- No arguments
- No television
- No work
- No food
Limit The Use Of Caffeine
Caffeine should be refrained from at least two hours before one is about to go to sleep. If one had trouble sleeping, it is best to avoid caffeinated drinks in the evening or at night.
- It is a known stimulant
- It is known to promote sleeplessness and anxiety levels
One needs to limit their caffeine intake to only two cups per day.
Limit The Intake Of Alcohol
Those who are insomniacs need to stay away from alcohol consumption especially late at night.
- Alcohol is known to interrupt the sleeping patterns
- Even though alcohol is known to have a sedative effect, when it wears off then the rebound effect makes one find it difficult to fall back to sleep
Keeping A Normal Bedtime Schedule
It is important to keep a fixed routine for sleep every day, especially if one is prone to insomnia. Those who go to bed early at night and induce a restful environment are prone to have a better sleeping pattern than those who come in ate and go to bed late.
- Keeping to a proper bedtime is important
- Waking up at the same time everyday will help one maintain the routine
Bath Time Rituals
Establishing a bath time ritual for the children who find it difficult to fall asleep is a helpful step to take.
- A warm and soothing bath helps to soothe the nerves of the children
- Reading them bedtime stories will help them to relax
Indulge In Chocolate Cookies
One can indulge in sugary desserts or a piece of toast before bedtime. While such a point might be controversial, some say that such treats help one to prepare for bedtime:
- A chocolate chip cookie will act as a sedative
- Milk and cookies is considered as a great combination to lull oneself to sleep
Milk As A Natural Sedative
There is a long standing remedy in many homes for sleeplessness and that is warm milk. Milk had with honey or with nuts will aid an insomniac to head back to sleep
- Honey is known to have a sedative effect like sugar but it is less harmful as for diabetic persons
- A spoonful added to warm milk will help one to sleep well and avoid having to take up synthetic and chemical sleeping pills
Consider Having A Bedtime Snack
While some say that it is best to eat several hours before bedtime, a light snack or a tidbit would not hurt before going to sleep. If you have been anxious and your head is too full of thoughts, the brain will suddenly be left nullified by the blood rushing to the stomach to aid the digestion of the food consumed.
- A piece of toast
- A chocolate or a small desert item
These things will surely aid one to have a pleasant and warm feeling before one hits the sack.
Certain Chemical Containing Food Help
Tryptophan is a chemical that helps the brain to move into sleep mode easily. Food items that contain this chemical:
- Cottage cheese
Supplements Containing Melatonin
The melatonin is a hormone that maintains the biological clock for the body. It is known to aid in the regular sleep cycle.
- One could consume supplements that help to increase melatonin in the circulation
- The supplements should be taken under doctor’s supervision
Resorting To Medicinal Herbs
One can resort to ayurvedic or medicinal herbs which can help to restore the sleep balance and cycle in one’s system
- Herbal decaffeinated tea
- Herbal supplements containing valerian
These are known to help one maintain their normal slumber
Increase Stress Releasing Exercise Regime
Many people lead sedentary lives for which they find it difficult to fall asleep at night
- It is necessary to increase the activity levels in the body
- It is necessary to do regular exercises to release stress and fatigue
Maintain A Sleep Journal
If you are suffering from insomnia and have tried different methods you need to figure out what works best for you:
- Maintain a sleep journal
- Note down what method works best or least and try to repeat the effective ones
It is said that meditation helps to reduce stress, remove the fragmented worries and anxieties and calm down the mind and body. Yoga and different yogic positions should be practiced accordingly to help soothe the nerves.
- Regular yoga, meditation and relaxation techniques will help one to relax
- Blood circulation will improve and one will get better sleep
Are you suffering from insomnia? Do you not know what causes it? You can use the point above to decipher your problem and address it effectively.