Many people say that green tea is good for health and is believed that it helps in attaining weight loss. When taken regularly green tea also offers many other health benefits. This tasty beverage contains a potent nutrient called as EGCG or epigallocatechin gallate.
Why Green Tea?
Green tea has originated in China and it is being used as a medicine ever since. This flavorsome beverage is extensively used all over Asia. It benefits of this beverage ranges right from lowering your (BP) blood pressure to cancer prevention. Since the fermentation process is avoided in the green tea, it provides more health benefits compared to black tea, thus retaining high amount of poly-phenols and antioxidants and other useful substances.
Let’s look a little deeper into the benefits green tea and reasons to start drinking green tea
11 amazing benefits of green tea that you are not aware of are listed below:
Green tea helps you lose weight by increasing the metabolism. High amounts of poly-phenols present in green tea increases fat oxidation levels and also intensify the rate of burning food into calories.
After your meal, green tea slows your blood sugar by regulating glucose levels. This beverage prevents high insulin levels and the resulting fat deposits.
Green tea helps you stay relaxed and also helps you withstand the blood pleasure changes and works on the lining your blood vessels. It prevents clots formation, which is the main cause of heart strokes / attacks.
Green tea apparently kills cancer causing cells without damaging healthy tissues that are surrounding the cancer cells and reduces the risk of esophageal cancer.
Green tea aids in improving the ratio of good to bad cholesterol. It also helps in reducing bad cholesterol in the blood
Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s:
It helps in delaying the deterioration caused by Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. It also protects brain cells from dying and restores brain cells that are damaged.
The antioxidants like “catechin” present in green tea, destroys viruses and bacteria that cause infections in throat, dental caries and other tooth conditions.
Consuming green tea on a regular basis will diminish the risk of high BP or blood pressure.
Amino acids such as “Theanine”, which is present green tea leaves, provides a soothing and relaxing effect and helps you, get rid of stress or depression.
Anti-viral and Anti-bacterial:
Strong antiviral and antibacterial agents present in green tea are an efficient treatment for many health conditions ranging from common flu to cancer. It also slows down the spread of various diseases.
Green tea protects you skin and prevents it from various signs of aging including wrinkles. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties help you in achieving skin care. When applied topically, it helps in reducing the damage caused by sun.
Reasons to drink green tea daily:
- It is a wonderful fat fighter, because of the active ingredients like EGCG. It increases the rate at which your body burns fat
- EGCG present in green tea speeds up weight loss by activating your fat burning genes present in the abdomen, thereby reducing belly fat
- It balances the blood sugar levels and keeps you energy stable. EGCG present in green tea improves the use of insulin in your body, preventing blood sugar crashes and spikes, which may cause petulance, fatigue, and cravings for harmful foods
- It also helps you fight against lung cancer. It is observed that EGCG suppresses the growth of lung cancer causing cells
- EGCG present in green tea stop the progress of colorectal cancer
- EGCG in green tea helps your body in killing prostate cancer cells
- EGCG also prevents the skin from wrinkling and aging. Potent antioxidant present in green tea destroys free radicals that damage skin. So decreasing the number of free radicals will reduce many signs of aging
- It destroys free radicals which may cause chronic illnesses including diabetes, arthritis, and cancer
Green tea can be taken in any form; say you may try iced, hot, by adding natural herbs or dab of lemon juice. In whatever form you may consume, you can reap the full benefits of it. It is recommended to have 2 to 3 cups of it daily. Since it doesn’t contain much caffeine, it is not harmful.