If one wishes to recover from depression, they need to take action. However, it is a Catch-22 situation when one does not wish to take any steps in order to get out of the depression for being in a depressed state of mind. When one is depressed they do not want to think of the things that they need to do. Even if they realize the need to take action, even getting up and taking a bath, eating food or meeting friends seem like an effort for them. The activities that can help one to get out of depression are the things that one finds most difficult to do. However, as such things are not impossible, one needs to culminate the energy and the motivation to do the following simple activities which will help one to get out of depression.
Cultivating Supportive Relationships
The first step that needs to be taken in order to recover from depression is to start off with small goals. As one starts with small goals and achieves them, they will slowly build from there. Even if one feels exhausted, they can take a short walk round the block or make a phone call to feel better. In order to get out of depression it is important to cultivate supportive relationships. It is very difficult to get out of a depressive state if one is alone. Getting social support plays a great role in helping to lift the fog of depression. Often, one may feel ashamed, guilty or not emotionally ready to face friends and family members and to talk about what happened. One needs to realize that such feelings are the direct effects of depression and one needs the support of loved ones to get out of such a state.
- Turning To Family Members And Friends Whom One Can Trust – You need to reach out to the ones you love and trust and share your experiences with them. Seek their help and support or their presence around you.
- Keeping Up With Social Activities – When one is depressed they feel comfortable being alone or in a shell. However, being around other people can be therapeutic.
- Join A Support Group – If you do not have family or friends to support you, it would be best to join a support group. There are many support groups which hold discussions on depression and how to deal with it. Simply being in such a group and hearing others talk about their feelings will help to alleviate your sense of isolation.
Stop The Negative Thoughts
When you are depressed you tend to put a negative spin to everything. That would include the way you see yourself, the situations you face, expectations from the future and others. It is vital to break out of the pessimistic frame of mind in order to get out of depression.
How to challenge negative thinking processes:
- Think Beyond Yourself – One should stop being harsh on themselves. It is necessary to have a more balanced approach towards oneself.
- Allow Yourself To Be Less Than Perfect – Many people who suffer from depression are perfectionists. They have high standards for themselves and they beat themselves up if they fail to meet them. This is a form of self-imposed stress that has to be negated by being more lenient on oneself.
- Socializing With Positive Minded People – There are many who look at the bright side of things and are optimistic. One should try and adopt such optimism even in bleak situations in order to feel lighter at heart.
- Keeping A Log Of Negative Thoughts – One should write down their negative thoughts in a journal. That way one can review their feelings even in a positive frame of mind. At such a time one can evaluate such feelings and understand whether there is much objectivity about such feelings.
Taking Care Of Oneself
It is vital to take care of oneself in order to overcome depression. That includes many activities that one needs to inculcate daily to get out of the depressive state of mind.
- Getting Eight Hours Of Sleep – One might be sleeping too much or too little. It is important to get eight hours of sleep and not less than that when one is depressed.
- Exposure To Sunlight – It is important to get sunlight which has a positive effect on the mood. You could sit outside in the verandah or patio, take a short walk or sit at a park bench. Getting at least 15 minutes of sunlight is good for getting one’s mood lifted.
- Keeping Stress At Bay – When one is depressed, they should not take on heavy work or stressful work schedules. At such a time concentration is low for which one may not be able to perform well in their work.
- Taking Up Relaxing Habits – Trying yoga or going for a walk, trying meditation, taking up a hobby will help one to relax as well as get into a more positive frame of mind.
Suffering from depression? Wondering how to get out of it? The above mentioned self help tips will surely help on to get out of such a state.