Your pets can get bugged by fleas often and they need your attention and care to get rid of these fleas. While there are a whole lot of medicines for your dogs and cats, they are not safe for them. Chemicals in these flea preventives may prevent fleas but they may also have side effects. Why not apply some natural home remedies to prevent fleas and give relief to your dogs and cats.
Remedies to Get Rid of Fleas on Dogs
1. Use Essential Oils on Dog Collars for Flea Control
Essential oils can effectively repel fleas. We humans enjoy the aroma of essential oils but pests and insects cannot stand these smells. You just need an essential oil or a blend of some of such oils. Few drops of them on your dog collar and you don’t have to worry about your pet. Here’s a list of essential oils that can get your loved dog rid of fleas.
List of essential oils for dog collar to prevent fleas
- White Thyme
- Tea Tree
- Take the dog collar. This can be a stylish store bought collar or a bandanna or even a shoe lace.
- Pour 2-3 drops of one of the essential oils from the list above. If you worry about harming your dog with such strong oils, you may dilute the oil by mixing it with 2-3 tablespoons of water.
- It will be more beneficial if you mix 3-4 oils together and then pour 2-3 drops of such an oil blend on your dog’s collar. Make a blend that soothes your nerve.
- Rub the oil drops into the collar.
- Now tie this collar around the neck of your dog.
- You should again apply oil or the oil blend within a week’s time.
2. Make Flea Spray to Keep Fleas Away from Dogs
Sprays are yet another effective way to prevent flea from disturbing and harming your dogs. In fact, these flea sprays can have multiple use. While you can always spray them on your dog for a nice glow along with preventing fleas, you may use these solutions as collar dips or just spritz the collar with it. Here’s the recipe for an excellent flea spray for your dog.
- • Vinegar or Apple cider vinegar- 1 cup
- • Water- 1 liter
- • lavender or cedarwood oil (or any other essential oil of your choice)- 2-3 drops
- • Spray bottle- 1
- Add vinegar and oil to water and mix well.
- Fill this solution in the spray bottle.
- Now spray this solution on to your dog’s body.
- Do not spray near face and take care so that the solution doesn’t go into eyes or ears. For these areas, you may dampen a clean cloth with the prepared solution and wipe off with it.
- Spray the solution on your pet’s bedding and its favorite places where it loves to lie down.
Remedies to Get Rid of Fleas on Cats
1. Use Neem Oil as Flea Remedy for Cats
As cats always lick themselves, it is of great importance that you use such things on them for flea control that remain safe for consumption. Neem is one herb which has been safely used since ancient times, not only for humans but for pets too. However, neem is one of the worst enemies for pests and insects including fleas and ticks. Here are some ways how you can use neem oil to protect cats against fleas.
- Neem oil- 1-5 ml (1/5 to 1 tsp)
- Mild pet shampoo- ½ to 1 cup
- When your cat is infested with fleas, you may use higher amount (about 1 tsp) of neem oil to shampoo but keep the ratio low when you do it just for preventing fleas.
- Add neem oil with shampoo.
- Wash your cat with this shampoo.
- Rinse out the shampoo properly.
- Do it once a week.
2nd way to use neem oil for cats to prevent fleas: Neem leaf spray
- Fresh or dried neem leaves- 1 Kg
- Water- 5 liters
- Filter paper/Coffee filter
- Spray bottle (optional)
- Put the neem leaves in a big bowl.
- Pour the water over it.
- Cover and let it soak overnight.
- Next day, filter the water twice- once with cheesecloth and then with filter paper or coffee filter.
- This will give you a clear neem tea.
- If you want to use this neem as spray, fill it in the spray bottle and mist your cat.
- You may also dip a cloth in this neem tea and then rub your cats body with this dampened cloth.
- If your cat loves to stay outdoors, use this neem remedy twice a week. If not, once a week will also do.
Cats are too sensitive to smells. While neem oil may not be put into the category of aromatic essential oils, your cat may not like to have even this oil on itself. In such a case, you can use the next remedy which uses diatomaceous earth.
2. Use Diatomaceous Earth to Get Rid of Cats from Fleas
Diatomaceous earth (DE) is 100 percent natural as they are the fossilized remains of algae. While you and your pet will not be harmed by this fine powder, the fleas would be. The fleas cant’s stand the sharp edges of DE which is made of silica and which cuts through their hard shell. Fleas are then killed due to utter dehydration. However, you should always buy food grade diatomaceous earth in case your cute cat licks it off its own body. Those used for pools are not safe for internal consumption. You can treat your carpets, furniture etc. with this DE and then vacuum after leaving it for 12-48 hours. Here’s what else you must do with diatomaceous earth to prevent fleas from around your cat.
- Food grade diatomaceous earth
- Face Mask or cloth to cover your mouth
- Wear the face mask or cover your mouth and nose with the cloth. Fine particles of DE can irritate your throat if inhaled.
- Wear the gloves.
- Now take some diatomaceous earth in your hand and rub the palms together.
- Now rub your DE smeared hands onto the fur of your cat. Avoid the area close to the nose of the cat for the same purpose as you have worn mask.
- For the first few days, rub your cat’s fur with DE everyday and then make it a weekly ritual for the whole fleas season.