Dermatitis is the itchy inflammation of the skin. Though it is not contagious or life threatening, it can cause much discomfort to the person. There are different types of dermatitis such as atopic dermatitis or eczema, contact dermatitis and seborrheic dermatitis. The atopic dermatitis stats in the infancy and the skin will have itchy, red rash. In contact dermatitis rashes are seen on the areas of the body which comes into contact with substances which irritate the skin. The rash may burn and blisters may develop. In seborrheic dermatitis the rash may have yellowish oily scales. This dermatitis mainly affects the scalp and face. It is a main cause of dandruff in people.
Causes Of Dermatitis
There are different factors which cause the development of dermatitis. Allergies, irritants and genetic factors play an important role.
- Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema) – this dermatitis is common in people with a family history of asthma, allergy, hay fever or eczema.
- Contact Dermatitis – the main cause for this type of dermatitis is irritants or allergens such as poison ivy, cleaning products, cosmetics, perfumes, artificial jewelry etc.
- Seborrheic Dermatitis- this condition is seen in people with oily skin or hair. It is believed that hereditary factors are a major reason for this dermatitis.
Symptoms Of Dermatitis
The common symptoms of dermatitis are
• Itching , pain, stinging, or burning of the skin
• Blisters along with rashes
• Thick, oily or scaly skin
• Sores on the affected parts due to scratching
• Swelling of the affected areas
In eczema rashes are seen inside the elbows, behind the knees and at the front of the neck. Though the treatment for dermatitis should be based on the type of dermatitis, there are many easy home remedies which will give relief from itching and helps to heal the rashes caused by dermatitis.
Effective Home Remedies For Dermatitis
The following are the home remedies that you can think of using to effectively treat dermatitis.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a natural and the best home remedy that you can use to treat problems related to dermatitis. It is ideal for you to get hold of pure and virgin coconut oil to treat dermatitis effectively.
• You need to take puree and virgin coconut oil in a bowl and warm it.
• Now apply this warm coconut oil on the dermatitis affected area of your skin gently.
• It will help in softening the skin and it would be better for you to apply the coconut oil on the affected area before going to bed.
• You will see a great difference in the affected skin area after a few days. You will enjoy seeing reduced scaling, redness and drying.
2. Aloe Vera Gel
Another most common home remedy that you can think of using when it comes to treating inflammatory skin conditions like dermatitis is Aloe Vera juice or gel. This Aloe Vera juice is very effective in maintaining the pH balance of the skin and will help in easily eliminating skin irritation and skin itching.
• You need to cut open the fresh Aloe Vera leaves to extract the fresh gel from the plant.
• Apply generous amount of Aloe Vera gel to the affected areas of the skin for few minutes. Allow it to dry off on your skin.
• You need to apply the Aloe Vera many times a day to see quick results.
• Regular application of the Aloe Vera gel several times a day for a few months will help in improving your skin condition and getting rid of dermatitis permanently.
• You can also mix this fresh Aloe Vera juice with water and drink it every day to get glowing skin.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another popular ingredient that is used by many to treat various kin ailments including dermatitis. It is very effective in treating itchiness and skin inflammation.
• You can mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and mix it well. Drink this water the first thing in the morning on an empty stomach everyday to prevent skin problems.
• To get better and effective results, you need to apply apple cider vinegar on the affected area of the skin by using a clean cotton ball.
• Let the apple cider vinegar solution sit on the skin for a few minutes. You can then wipe it off using a clean damp cloth. This will help in improving your skin condition.
• Regular application of apple cider vinegar on the skin will help in reducing the problems of dermatitis effectively.
Honey is another common natural ingredient that is used on the skin to reduce its inflammation as well as itchiness.
• Take a tablespoon of honey and mix it with a quarter glass of water. Apply this diluted honey on the areas where your skin feels itchy and irritating.
• You need to do this remedy on the affected skin areas for a minimum of one month every day to see effective results.
5. Chamomile Flowers
Chamomile flowers have therapeutic properties that will help in treating dermatitis at home effectively. Using chamomile flowers for dermatitis will help in soothing the skin and will also give great relief from its symptoms.
• In a large bowl of water add a few chamomile flowers. Boil this water for a few minutes,
• Now cool this water and then add some ice cubes to this water mixture.
• Soak the dermatitis affected areas in this cold water for about 10 to 15 minutes.
• Repeat this remedy at least once every day until the dermatitis problems is completely solved.
6. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is another good home remedy that you can use for dermatitis problems. It will help in improving the skin elasticity and also will provide relief to itching and inflammation problems.
• Apply lotions or creams that have large quantities of Vitamin E on the damaged or inflamed skin every day to get the soothing effect.
• Regular intake of the Vitamin E enriched foods will also help in dealing with dermatitis problems. Some of the foods that are rich in Vitamin E are: corn, peanut butter, wheat germ oil and sunflower seeds.
Bilberries are known to be a very good ingredient that will help in treating dermatitis problems. It will help in making the skin healthy and will also protect the skin from various skin related problems.
• In a steel container add about 50 grams of bilberries and then pour about 1 liter of water.
• Warm this container and then allow it to cool for about an hour to make the mixture homogenous.
• Boil the mixture again for twenty minutes and then allow it to come back to room temperature.
• You can now use this mixture as a cleanser. You need to use it at least three to four times a day on the affected areas of your skin to see visible results.
Oatmeal is very effective in treating skin related problems. Having an oatmeal bath will keep skin problems at bay and provide you better relief from skin irritation and itching.
• Powder oatmeal in a blender to make it into a fine powder form. Add this oatmeal powder into lukewarm bath water.
• You need to soak your body in this oatmeal water for a minimum of 15 to 20 minutes every day.
• This will help in improving the moisture level of the skin and make your skin healthy.
9. Slippery Elm Bark
Slippery elm bark is also quite effective in treating dermatitis problems. It will provide good relief from various dermatitis symptoms. A slippery elm bark skin wash can be easily prepared at home that will help in effectively treating dermatitis problems.
• Mix one teaspoon of slippery elm bark, one teaspoon of comfrey root and a teaspoon of white oak bark in two cups of water.
• Mix well and boil this water for about 30 to 40 minutes.
• Now bring this solution to room temperature and then use this on the affected area of the skin.
• Repeat this every day for about a month to get relief from various dermatitis problems.
• For quick results, you need to try this home remedy for three to four times a day.
10. Almond Leaves
One of the best home remedies that you can use to get rid of your dermatitis skin problems is almond leaves. It will help in effectively curing all the dermatitis problems and will also help in preventing further growth of dermatitis.
• Take a few almond leaves and then blend them in a blender to make a smooth paste by adding sufficient water.
• Apply this smooth paste on the affected areas of your skin and leave it to sit on the skin for about 5 to 10 minutes.
• Wash it off with lukewarm water and then pat dry the areas.
• Apply a moisturizing lotion or cream on the areas.
• Repeat this procedure three times a day to see effective results.
11. Other Home Remedies
- You can use a lotion made of blueberry leaves on the affected areas of your skin two times every day. It has been proven to relieve the inflammation on the skin due to dermatitis.
- Shark cartilage has also been used to significantly reduce the inflammation on the skin.
- It is important for you take Vitamin B complex rich foods as well as capsules or tonics to improve the general health of your skin.
- Taking Biotin pills are found to be effective in treating dermatitis and also keeping it at bay.
- Zinc is also found to be effective in treating dermatitis. You can either take it orally or can use it on your skin directly.
Are you worried seeing inflammation and itching on your skin? Do you want to get rid of the dermatitis problems that have engulfed your skin? Well, all you need to do is to try out a few of the above mentioned home remedies to easily treat the problems that are associated with dermatitis and to make your skin healthy.