Pain, stiffness and swelling in the joints of the hands and wrist, which restrict the movement of the joints are known as arthritis of the hands. The activities of daily life become difficult due to pain and disability caused by the disease. The small joints in the hands should work together to produce motion. Arthritis affects multiple joints in the hands. It has been estimated that one in every five adults in the United States is affected by arthritis. Arthritis includes hundreds of medical conditions and it can affect people at a very early age. If arthritis is not treated, the bones in the joints lose their normal shape causing further pain and limiting the motion. The two important types of arthritis are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
What Causes Arthritis In Hands?
There are different forms of arthritis caused by different reasons. The cartilages that are wearing away can be a cause of arthritis. Lack of synovial fluid in the joint cavities of hands can lead to arthritis in the hands. Autoimmunity is another major cause of arthritis of body joints. A combination of several factors can also cause arthritis risk. Some of the major causes of arthritis of hands are
• Genetic makeup
• Physically demanding jobs with repetitive movements
• Previous injury to hands or wrist
• Autoimmune diseases
Symptoms Of Arthritis in Hands
The symptoms of arthritis in hands depend on the type of arthritis
• In this type of arthritis, the symptoms appear slowly and becomes worse as the time goes by
• Pain in the joint after use or after a period of inactivity
• Tenderness of the joints when pressure is applied to the joints
• Joints will be stiff especially in the mornings
• Hard lumps or bone spurs appear around the joints
• Swelling in the joints
• The same joints on either hand will be swollen
• Pain in the joints
• The joint is tender when touched
• Hands red and puffy
• Bumps of tissues or rheumatoid nodules under skin of the arms
• Weight loss
The patient may feel frustrated because of pain, fatigueless and the inability to grip things. Patients can regain an active life by proper treatment. There is no cure for arthritis; however it is possible to reduce the severity and deformities using various treatments including home remedies.
Home Remedies for Arthritis in Hands:
If you are suffering from arthritis in your hands, then the following are some of the effective home remedies that will help in treating arthritis in hands:
1. Castor Oil
Castor oil is not just used as an oil to light lamps in India but is also believed to have certain curative and medicinal powers. It contains one of the most important medicinal ingredients called Ricinoleic acid that is loaded with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic priorities. This is the reason why it is recommended as a natural treatment for arthritis in hands.
- Take a generous amount of castor oil and apply in the arthritis affected areas in your hand.
- Massage these areas gently for about five to ten minutes twice every day.
- This will help in alleviating the pain caused due to arthritis in the hands.
- You can also boil two tablespoons of castor oil and add it to a glass of fresh orange juice.
- Mix it well and drink this juice before having your breakfast every day.
- You will see a visible difference in your condition within a couple of weeks.
Garlic is another effective ingredient that you can use to treat arthritis in hands. It is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that will help in reducing the pain and the inflammation that is caused due to arthritis. Garlic is also rich in allicin that is effective in slowing down the reproduction and the growth of the microorganisms that can really worsen the arthritis symptoms.
- Eating two to three cloves of raw garlic everyday will help in lessening the symptom of arthritis in hands.
- You can also heat a few garlic cloves in mustard oil and apply this on the fingers and other areas of your hand where you feel pain due to arthritis.
- Massage the affected areas gently for a few minutes and repeat this process for several times in a day to get quick relief.
The potato is not just a rich source of carbohydrates, but it also offers the best anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that will help in treating arthritis in hands effectively.
- Extract the juice of two to three potatoes and then dilute it with some water.
- Drink this potato juice every day for getting good relief from arthritis in hands.
- You can prepare new medicated water with potato pieces. Cut medium sized potatoes into thin slices and put these slices in cold water overnight.
- You need to strain the solution the next day morning and drink this water on an empty stomach. It will help in relieving the pain in your joints.
4. Honey And Cinnamon Powder
Honey and cinnamon are natural ingredients that have great healing powers. Using them together will help in providing relief to people suffering from arthritis in hands. Honey is rich in antiseptic qualities and cinnamon, on the other hand, has good antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.
- Using honey and cinnamon powder together will help in relaxing the stiff muscles of the body and offer lubrication to the joints.
- Mix a tablespoon of honey with half a tablespoon of cinnamon powder.
- Take this mixture everyday in the morning to reduce the pain and inflammation caused by arthritis in your hands.
- It would produce even better results if you could take this mixture on an empty stomach everyday in the morning.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is rich in magnesium and will help in improving the blood flow in your body. It will help in preventing the hardening of the arteries and the blood clots.
- Soaking your hands in warm water that is mixed with Epsom salt will help in reliving cramps and pain in your hands.
- Add two tablespoons of Epsom salt and a handful of rock salt in warm water.
- Next, add a tablespoon of fennel and juniper oil and mix it in this water.
- Soak your affected hand in this water for 15 to 20 minutes every day.
- You will get relief from pain, inflammation and stiffness that are associated with arthritis in hands.
6. Olive Oil
Olive oil is a natural home remedy to treat inflammation in the body. As it is rich in oleocanthal which in turn slows down the production process of pro-inflammatory COX-1 and COX-2 enzymes, it is highly recommended as a treatment for arthritis in hands.
- Using olive oil for cooking as well as for your salad dressing will help in reducing the pain and the inflammation that you get due to arthritis in hands.
- You can also take equal quantities of warm olive oil and warm lavender oil and mix it well. Apply this mixture to your hands and gently massage on the arthritis affected areas for about 10 minutes.
- Regular application of this oil mixture for two to three times a day will help in significant reduction in the pain and inflammation caused by arthritis in hands.
7. Hot Water
Warm compress is one of the best methods to get rid of the pain on fingers due to arthritis. Warm compress improves the blood circulation to the area and relaxes the muscles and joints. This helps to reduce the swelling and stiffness.
- Soak a towel in hot water and squeeze out excess water.
- Put the towel over the hands and fingers.
- Combine warm compress with light exercise of the hands to get better results.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
This remedy helps to reduce the pain and stiffness associated with arthritis in hands as it has anti-inflammatory and alkalizing property. You can use it as an internal remedy or you can use it for external application.
- Drink one glass of warm water mixed with one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of honey.
- You can also make a paste of cayenne pepper and warm apple cider vinegar and apply this warm paste to the painful joints in the hands and wrist
- Leave the paste on the affected areas for 10 minutes to get relief from pain and stiffness.
9. Ice Pack
Cold therapy is highly effective for people suffering from hand arthritis. Cold packs reduce the irritation and soreness.
- You can use ice packs or plastic bags filled with frozen greens to do the cold therapy.
- Place the ice pack on the affected area for a few seconds and remove it.
- Repeat this for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Make sure that you use a thin towel between the cold pack and skin to avoid frost bite.
Turmeric has excellent anti-inflammatory property and hence can be used as a home remedy for arthritis. It also has antibacterial and antiseptic properties which provide protection to the skin of the affected fingers from the attack of any microorganisms.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric and honey to a glass of warm milk and drink this every day.
- You can instead mix turmeric powder with warm water and drink it every day
- You can make a thick paste of turmeric powder and mustard oil and apply this paste on the swollen and stiff fingers.
- Leave this paste on the fingers for half an hour and wash it off with warm water to get relief from the symptoms of arthritis in hands.
Are you worried about your arthritis in hands? Do you want to get relief from the pain and the inflammation caused on your hands due to arthritis? If you are looking for certain natural home remedies that will help in getting rid of arthritis in hands or reducing the symptoms associated with arthritis in hands, then you can just try out some of the above mentioned home remedies to enjoy reduction in pain and inflammation associated with arthritis.