Snoring is a common health disorder which affects nearly 45% adults occasionally. It is not a serious condition but it creates a nuisance if it occurs regularly. The person, who sleeps beside the snoring person, is the worst sufferer of this problem. And at the same time, it also indicates that you are not getting sound sleep and its aftermath may cause some other diseases.
This condition affects more middle-aged and older men than the women. You will also find that obese people are more prone to snoring than a healthy people.
What Causes of Snoring
A person starts snoring when the air cannot move properly through the nose and throat during sleep. And this air blockage vibrates the surrounding tissue due to which a snoring sound occurs.
The reason of snoring varies from person to person. For few people, it may occur due to some health problem like sleep apnea, obesity etc., and for few people it occurs because of the extra fatty tissues in the airways.
Let’s find out the most common causes of snoring.
Obstruction in the Nasal Passage: Sometimes a person snores due to the blockage in the nasal passage and this obstruction may be the result of some allergies in the nasal passage, sinus infection, tonsil and swelling of the turbinates.
Narrowed Airways: Sometimes the enlarged palatine tonsils (may be caused due to some infections) can narrow the airway and cause snoring.
Collapse of the Tongue, Palate and Throat: There are two stages of sleep, such as REM (rapid eye movement) and non-REM stages. Snoring mostly occurs in REM stage as in this stage there is the loss of muscle tone. The muscles in the body except the breathing muscles relax in this stage of sleep and due to this, the tongue, palate and the throat may collapse. This situation often causes snoring.
Sleeping Position: Sleeping position is one of the main causes of snoring. When a person sleeps flat on the back, the flesh of the throat becomes relaxed and blocks the airways. It often makes the person snore regularly.
Medication, Alcohol and Smoking: Sometimes the consumption of certain medicines like lorazepam (Ativan) and diazepam (Valium) relax the muscles and cause snoring. The same rule also applies to the consumption of alcohol and smoking.
Body Structure: The structure of your body can also make you to snore. We read it earlier that men get affected by snoring more than the women and the main cause behind it is that men have narrower air passages than the women.
Being Overweight: Excess weight often causes bulky throat tissues, which causes snoring.
Sleep Deprivation: Sometimes not getting enough sleep continuously also makes the person snore.
Symptoms of Snoring
The person who snores generally does not know whether he/she is snoring, but can find out about this condition if he/she experiences the symptoms that are mentioned below:
- Restlessness during sleep
- A choking feeling during sleep
- Chest pain during sleep
- Waking up due to choking or gasping
- Headaches in the morning
- Feeling sleepy during day time
- Sore throat
Best Home Remedies for Snoring
Snoring is not a serious health condition, but it certainly creates an annoying condition for the person who sleeps beside you. And at the same time, it also affects the quality of your sleep. So to combat as well as to treat this condition you can follow certain easy home remedies as well as some lifestyle changes.
Essential Oil Treatments for Snoring
Loaded with various medicinal properties, essential oils can treat snoring effectively.
The anti-inflammatory properties of peppermint oil reduce the inflammation in the membranes of the lining of the nostrils, which in turn help to treat the snoring problem. At the same time, the decongestant menthol in peppermint essential oil looses the phylum. This process offers a soothing effect to the sinuses and the throat, and treats snoring effectively.
- Peppermint Oil- 2 to 3 drops
- A Dropper
- Take some peppermint essential oil in a dropper and put 2 to 3 drops of it to the nose before going to sleep.
- This oil will work gradually to clear the air passage.
- Follow this method regularly to get rid of snoring.
Thyme Essential Oil Tea
Loaded with antibacterial properties, thyme essential oil can treat snoring problem by killing the bacteria that infects the throat area and inflames it. Its use will also widen the air passage, thus will cure the snoring problem for sure.
- Thyme Oil – ½ tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Boil the water in a pot for few minutes.
- Then add the thyme oil to the water and stir well.
- Take this concoction as a tea before going to bed every day for smooth airflow in the airways to stop snoring.
- You can also put thyme essential oil in the room diffuser to inhale it regularly so that your air passage will be clear and you will not make noises while sleeping.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
You can also use eucalyptus essential oil to stop snoring if it is occurring to you due to cold or sinus infection. Eucalyptus essential oil act as a good decongestant, thus its use thins the mucus that blocks the air passage and treats snoring problem effectively. It also offers an effective cure for various breathing problems as it is analgesic, antispasmodic in nature.
- Water – 1 glass
- Eucalyptus Oil – 2 to 3 drops
- A Towel
- Take the water in a saucepan and boil it in medium flame.
- When the water starts boiling add the eucalyptus oil to it.
- Now cover your head with the towel and keep your face over the steam.
- Close your eyes and inhale the steam.
- Follow this process regularly before going to sleep to get rid of snoring problem.
Marjoram Essential Oil
Like eucalyptus essential oil, marjoram essential oil also cures various breathing problem, which is considered as one of the major causes of snoring.
- Marjoram Essential Oil – 4 to 5 drops
- Any Carrier Oil – 4 to 5 drops
- Take marjoram essential oil and mix in it any carrier oil, like coconut oil.
- Now massage this mixed oil in your chest, neck and shoulders before going to sleep.
- Follow this process regularly to smoothen the breathing process and to stop snoring.
Note: You can also use all these essential oils by following alternative ways to treat snoring. You can either apply them topically or by using it to gargle (2 to 3 drops of essential oil in 1 glass of warm water). You can also use the oils to prepare the steams (2 to 3 drops of essential oil in 1 glass of hot water) or in the diffuser. You can treat the snoring problem by applying one of the essential oils inside the nostrils before going to sleep (dab a Q-tip in the essential oil and apply it).
Other Natural Remedies to Stop Snoring
The antibacterial and the antiviral properties of honey clear the throat properly. Also, the anti-inflammatory property of honey reduces the swelling in the throat area, thus its use opens the blocked airways properly to treat the snoring problem.
- Hot Water – 1 glass
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Take 1 glass of hot water and add honey to it.
- Stir the honey in the water properly and drink it.
- Use this remedy every night before going to bed to treat snoring successfully.
Olive oil is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties and its use eases the airways by reducing the inflammation, thus promotes proper airflow in the nasal passage.
- Olive Oil – 1 and ½ tbsp
- Take the olive oil and sip it before going to bed.
- Take 2 to 3 sips of olive oil every day to get rid of snoring.
Fenugreek to Treat Snoring
Fenugreek is a natural decongestant, which acts as an expectorant. Its use thins and dissolves the mucus in the lymphatic system, thus cleans the airways to stop snoring.
- Fenugreek Powder- 1 tbsp
- Water – 1 glass
- Take a glass of water and add 1 tbsp of fenugreek powder to it.
- Mix it well and leave for 10 minutes to steep properly in the water.
- Drink it before going to the bed to get rid of snoring problem.
Turmeric and Milk
You can also use turmeric to treat the snoring problem as it is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties. So its use can reduce the inflamed tissues and offers a soothing effect to the throat. The use of milk in this remedy will also destroy the allergens that cause nasal congestion and snoring.
- Turmeric Powder – 2 tbsp
- Warm Milk – 1 glass
- Take 1 glass of warm milk and add 2 tbsp of turmeric powder to it.
- Stir it well and drink it to stop snoring.
- Take this drink every night before going to bed to treat the noisy snoring problem.
Loaded with the anti-inflammatory agent bisabolol, chamomile tea when consumed offers a calming effect to the nerves. Its properties also promote sound sleep, thus help you to prevent snoring. It can treat snoring effectively if it is caused due to strained nerves.
- Hot Water – 1 cup
- Dried Chamomile Leaves – 1 tsp
- Honey – 1 tsp
- In one cup of hot water, add the dried chamomile leaves.
- Leave it for 5 minutes to steep in the water properly.
- Strain the water and add 1 tsp of honey to it.
- Drink it before bedtime daily to cure snoring problem.
Nasal Rinse for Snoring
Apart from using these natural remedies, you can prepare a nasal rinse to treat the snoring problem effectively, particularly if you snore due to the blockage in the nasal passage. This rinse will clear the nasal passage as well as clear the airways, which will make you to breathe properly, thus will help you to treat snoring problem successfully.
- Non-iodized Salt – ½ tsp
- Baking Soda – ½ tsp
- Distilled Water – 8 Ounces
- A Netipot
- Take the water in a glass and mix all the ingredients in it.
- Pour the mixed water to the netipot.
- Place the spout of the netipot in one of your nostrils in such a way that the water will come out of the other nostril.
- Follow the same procedure for the other nostril.
- This process will thin the mucus and clear the blockage in the nasal passage, so that you will breathe properly.
- Following this process regularly will help you to combat the snoring problem effectively.
Note: The netipot should be clean. Avoid using the netipot remedy if you are suffering from acute sinus infection as it may worsen the condition. Also avoid using too hot or cold water for preparing this remedy as it may harm your nasal passage.
Other Useful Remedies to Stop Snoring
You have read it earlier about the major causes of snoring. So it is always wise to eliminate the causes of snoring first to treat and prevent it in a better way.
Try to Keep Nasal Passages Open
A blocked nasal passage obstructs the airways for the smooth movement of the airflow. As a result, the person snores while sleeping.
Taking a hot water shower before going to bed will help you to keep the nasal passages open. You can also rub a few drops of essential oils, such as eucalyptus, marjoram, thyme, etc, inside your nostril to keep the nasal passages open.
You can also use nasal strips to lift the nasal passages to keep them open.
Change Your Sleeping Position
Changing your sleeping pattern will help you a lot to get rid of snoring if it is caused due to sleeping on the back. Try to sleep on your sides. Using a body pillow will also help you to get rid of snoring problem. You can also keep a tennis ball at your back while sleeping. This will prevent you from sleeping on your back, thus will help you to stop snoring.
Being overweight is one of the major causes of snoring. So do some exercises or follow some diet plan to shed those extra kilos. You will definitely have a control over your snoring problem if it has occurred after you have gained weight.
Do not Consume Alcohol and Quit Smoking
If you want to stop snoring, then immediately stop consuming alcohol as well as quit smoking. It is found out that the people who do not snore, start snoring after they consume alcohol or start smoking.
Have Sufficient Sleep
Having a quality and sufficient amount of sleep also helps in a great way to get rid of snoring. If you do not get proper sleep then you will become tired and when you will go to sleep again, you will sleep hard and your muscles will become more relaxed. As a result, you will start snoring. So to get rid of snoring, ensure to have sufficient sleep.
How to Stop Snoring with Throat Exercises
You can very well get rid of this snoring problem by following various remedial measures that are discussed above but at the same time, you can also practice some throat exercises to treat as well as prevent this problem successfully. The throat exercises will treat this problem by strengthening the muscles in the upper respiratory tract.
- Utter the vowels (a, e, i, o, u) loudly for three minutes at a stretch. Try to do this few times a day.
- First place the tip of your tongue at the back of your front teeth and then move your tongue backwards and be in this position for three minutes. Perform this exercise few times a day.
- Fold your lips inwards and keep your lips in this position for 30 seconds. Perform this exercise 2 to 3 times a day.
- Open your mouth and then move your jaws to the right and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat this exercise few more times a day.
- Open your mouth and then contact the muscles that are situated at the back of your throat, and hold it for 30 seconds. You can do this throat exercise many a times a day to treat the snoring problem properly.
What are the Health Risks that are Associated with Snoring
If you snore occasionally, then it poses no threat to your health but if you snore regularly, it indicates that you may be suffering from some diseases like obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), which may cause serious side effects like:
- It can increase the blood pressure level by straining the heart, which may result in the enlargement of the heart, heart attack and heart stroke.
- You may wake up from the sleep frequently, so it will hamper the quality of your sleep and make you tired.
- It will make you feel drowsy, fatigued and tired throughout the day.
- It may lead to pulmonary hypertension due to the low oxygen level in the blood.
- Disturbed sleep can also make you a victim of chronic headaches.
- Lack of quality sleep can also make you a victim of obesity.
- It may also lessen your energy level to concentrate on the work.
Use a Humidifier: Use a humidifier in your bedroom before going to sleep to keep the air moist. Dry air is considered as one of the major causes of snoring.
Avoid Heavy Meals Before Bedtime: Do not eat heavy meals or drink before bedtime as it may make the muscles more relaxed and make you snore.
Keep Your Bedroom free From Allergens: Dust, mold, pet dander, etc, create a sneezing sensation in the nose and cause nasal contestation, which is one of the major causes of snoring. So keeping your bedroom free from allergens will help you prevent snoring. Also, keep your bedroom clean by vacuum cleaning it.
Use Peppermint Mouthwash: You can use peppermint mouthwash to gargle, which can shrink the throat, which in turn will help you to prevent snoring.
Change Pillowcases: Changing the pillowcases in regular intervals will help you to prevent snoring in a way.
Treat Cold and Sinus Problems soon: Try to keep yourself fit enough to be not affected by cold or sinus infections as these often cause nasal blockage, which often makes you to snore.
Do Exercise Daily: Involve yourself in moderate exercises daily as it will help you to maintain a healthy sleeping pattern, thus will help you to have a control over your snoring problem.
Follow a Healthy Diet: Following a healthy diet pattern will help you to prevent snoring as it will keep your weight in control.
Avoid Certain Medicines: Do not take any sleeping pills or tranquilizers or antihistamines before going to bed if you want to get rid of your snoring problem.
Practice Pranayama: Practicing pranayama will help you to have a control over your breathing pattern, thus will definitely help you to stop snoring.
Now, you know about the various remedies that you can use to get rid of snoring. But keep in mind that these remedies can help you to cure mild to moderate snoring problem, not the acute one. So if the problem is becoming worse day by day and you are suffering from it continuously, then it is time to consult a doctor to confirm whether you are suffering from any other disease.
Try these amazing remedies to have a noise-free good night’s sleep, Do not forget to share your experiences.