The metabolic rate of your body determines your overall health. Having proper metabolism will help to reduce your weight and to remain in a better health condition. When your metabolism is faster your body digests the food easily and uses the energy in the food. This prevents the deposition of the fat in the body. The rate of metabolism is of utmost importance for those who want to lose weight. A slow metabolism adversely affects your efforts to lose weight. If you can boost your metabolism, then you will be using energy and burning up the fat even when you are sleeping. This will help in achieving faster weight reduction. Though exercises are the most important method to increase the metabolism, the food we eat can also affect the metabolic rate. There are certain food items which will increase the rate of metabolism and provide you with lean and better looking body. Here is the list of some of such metabolism boosting food items.
We all know that fruits are rich in vitamins and minerals and are important for maintaining a healthy body. There are many fruits which are easily available in the market that helps to boost your metabolism. Strawberries, oranges, peaches, watermelon, guava and grape fruit are excellent metabolism boosters. Include more of these fruits in your diet than the metabolism reducing food items if you want to reduce your weight.
• Select fruits which have lower carbohydrate content and less sugar content to get better results.
• Fruits like strawberry and watermelon have more water and fiber content which makes you feel full without increasing your body weight.
• Always opt for organic fruits
2. Green Tea
Apart from having the property of boosting the metabolic rate, green tea has other health benefits also. It contains a compound called EGCG which helps to increase the metabolism.
• You can use hot green tea or you can pour cool green tea over the ice and use it as iced tea.
• Make sure that you consume at least 2-3 cups of green tea every day to boost your metabolism to a healthy level.
This is a type of melon which tastes great and is low in calories. This is an excellent food option to reduce weight by increasing the metabolism. Most of diet programs include this fruit in the diet plan.
• Cantaloupe contains fewer calories than the energy required to eat it.
• You will be reducing the calories when you are eating a cantaloupe.
Spinach is rich in vitamin B complex and also has high fiber content. This helps to improve the digestion of food and provides better metabolic rate. This food also helps in proper muscle growth. When the muscle mass of the body increases the metabolism also gets boosted. More muscle mass means faster burning of calories.
• Include spinach in your daily diet if you want to stay lean and to have proper digestion.
• You can add them to salads, soups or you can make any other recipes with spinach.
Lemon helps to increase the metabolism by cleaning up your digestive system. It also improves the defensive mechanism of our body. The vitamin C present in lemon has anti- oxidant properties which help to cleanse our systems.
• Drink one glass of warm water with the juice of half of a lemon added to it in the morning.
• You can also use lemon juice instead of aerated beverages to get benefited from this fruit.
6. Oat Meal
This is one of the best breakfast options for those who want to reduce the weight. Oatmeal is rich in fiber content and the body needs more energy to break it down, which result in using up the excess calories stored in the body.
• Oatmeal reduces the cholesterol level in the body which acts as a hindrance for proper metabolism.
• Make sure that you are not allergic to the gluten present in oatmeal before consuming it.
7. Lean Meat
Lean meat is helpful in improving the metabolic rate as it promotes the growth of lean muscles in the body. Lean meat contains more proteins than other meats. Lean muscles help to burn fat and make your body lean and attractive. If you want to increase the metabolism reduce the intake of carbohydrate and include more lean meat in your diet.
• Do not use fried meat
• You can opt for boiled, baked or steamed meat so that you will be consuming fewer calories.
• Use chicken breasts or turkey breasts in your diet when you want to lose weight.
Ginger has metabolism-increasing properties. Though it is not possible to eat ginger pieces as such, you need to use them in other food preparations.
• You can add them to stir fries
• You can use them in various Chinese cuisines
• By cooking boneless chicken with vegetables, spices, celery, ginger and garlic you can have best fat burning meal.
This is one vegetable which you cannot avoid if you are looking for metabolism boosting vegetables. Cucumber contains plenty of water, vitamins, nutrients and fiber. This vegetable keeps your body hydrated and makes you feel full. They have very low calories in them.
• You can use cucumber slices or sticks as your snack.
• You can add them to your salads
• You can also use them in your sandwiches and wraps
This is a crunchy; low-calorie vegetable is a good source of vitamin C, calcium and potassium. It is considered as a miracle food for weight loss. The calories needed for chewing the celery is equal to the energy you gain from eating the celery.
• Make sure that you are using non-fatty spreads and garnishes with celery
• You can add them to your soups and salads
• Do not use it with peanut butter if you are trying to lose weight
Almonds contain certain essential fatty acids which help to increase the rate of metabolism. If you want to get benefited by using almonds eat one handful of almonds every day.
• You can use almonds as your snack between breakfast and lunch.
• You can use them to garnish main or side dish
• You can try using walnuts or cashews if you get bored of using almonds to get the same benefit.
The Nutrients Present In Beans Have Good Effect On Our Fat Burning Ability. They Are Rich In proteins and fiber and causes faster fat burning when consumed.
• Include baked or boiled beans in your daily diet to boost the metabolism.
• The beans will be a great side dish for lunch and dinner.
• You can add them to soups.
Asparagus is known as the food with negative calories. It needs more energy to chew and digest it than the calorie it contains. The calorie value of this vegetable is very low and hence is a real metabolic booster. It has a unique and delicious taste.
• You can cook asparagus along with lean meat to enhance the metabolism boosting effect.
• It is better to opt for organically produced asparagus
14. Coconut Oil
There are many health benefits of using coconut oil; one of them is the ability of the coconut oil to speed up fat burning. Though when used alone the boost provided will be less. When used in combination with other metabolism boosting food it is more effective.
• Use 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil for your daily cooking
• You can use the coconut oil for seasoning the dish
It is better to use black coffee if you want to boost the metabolic rate. Caffeine the compound which is present in coffee improves the blood circulation when taken in small quantities.
• Use coffee without sugar and cream to get a better boost for metabolism.
• Do not take more than 3 cups of coffee a day
16. Cruciferous Vegetables
Cruciferous vegetables contain B vitamins which have a healthy effect on the metabolism. They are low in calorie content and help to cleanse the digestive system.
• Use cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts more in the diet
• You can mix them in other recipes and make them taste better
There are many spices which help to charge up the metabolism. The spices add flavor to the dish and improves the nutritional content as well.
• Include spices such as black pepper, mustards, cayenne pepper, cardamom and cinnamon acts as metabolism boosters.
• You can add them to various food preparations to increase their intake.
This is one of the most important foods that keep all your organs healthy and functioning. When the body does not have enough water the metabolism slows down. Hence it is necessary that you keep your body well hydrated.
• Drink at least 8-10 glasses of pure water to increase the metabolism.
Are you suffering from overweight or obesity? Are you looking for foods to increase your metabolic rate to achieve weight reduction and good health? You can try eating the different foods mentioned above. Include 3-4 of these food items in your regular diet to get a boost to your metabolic rate. You cannot revive your metabolic rate overnight. Give time for your body to adjust to the new foods that you have included in the diet to show results. You can use the metabolic rate calculators online to calculate the metabolic rate before starting the diet and after using the metabolic boosting diet for at least one month to ensure that your metabolic rate has been increased.